When Are my Breast Implants Going to Drop and Even Up?

before 34a and even. Now 34d and I know one breast will drop before the other usually. had them done 1/27/12. My right breast is higher and my nipple is lower than the other. My left breast looks like its dropped completely. I do massaging and pressing on the top part of my breasts but it doesn't seem to help and neither does the band.and I'm concerned that its not gonna drop. I've seen all the pictures that my PS has taken and nothing! What should I do, are they going to even out? Please help!

Thank you for your question .
It is too early to give you an exact answer please wait at least 2-3 months to give time to your implants to come down and settle. And like other surgeon said The larger the implants, the longer it will take for them to drop. And usually one side will drop faster than the other. Congratulations on your new procedure.

Thank you for your question . 

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance sounds typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

When to Implants Drop?

The final results are mostly present including "dropping of the implant" when implants are below the muscle within the first 3 months for most and certainly by a year. Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Three to four months

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.This process tends to occur sooner in one breast than the other, so don't be alarmed if you find that your left drops before the right or vice versa.

Breast implant drop

When breast implants are placed under the muscle, the implants tend to sit high on the chest wall.  It takes at least 1-2 months for them to drop, in some women, it may take 3-6 months to see the final implant position.

Dennis Dass, MD

Breast implants take at least 3-6 months to "drop"

Great question!  You're not alone ... I hear this question at least once a day in my office.  It can take at least 3-6 months for your implants to drop.  The larger the implants, the longer it will take for them to drop. And usually one side will drop faster than the other.

I advise my patients to wear the strap across the top of their breasts for one week. Then, they begin massaging.  In most situations, they will be settled by 6 months, but many patients notice they continue to settle for up to a year.  

I know it's not easy, but hang in there and try to be patient.  And of course, keep all your appointments with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns with him/her.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

When will Breast Implants "drop"?

The implants will drop into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward will assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants).   Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Be patient and do the downward exercises.

When will implants "drop"

It is very common when implants are placed under the muscle for them to appear "high".  This is due to the muscle being stretched and needing time to relax into its new position with the implant under it.  This occurs gradually, but many patients notice that the implant has dropped and the muscle has relaxed by approximately 3 months.  It is not uncommon for one breast to heal more quickly than the other.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Are my Breast Implants Going to Drop

Most implants that are placed under the muscle look high early on, and almost all of them "drop" usually by two to three months after the surgery. Until the muscle relaxes, it pushes on the implant, and makes the silicone (or saline) bulge out in the upper part of the breast.

Almost all of these look properly positioned with time. Best wishes.

Post-op breast augmentation

Each breast will respond to the implants a bit differently.  One will drop sooner than the other, give it time. It can take a few months.