When to Get Mommy Makeover?

My children are very young 5, 3 and 8 months, when should I get a Mommy Makeover? I really want a Tummy Tuck, Breast Implants and Liposuction but I don't know when it would be a good time to get it done. Should I wait until the baby is at least 2?

Breast-Feeding & Lactation Should Be Complete Before Undergoing A Mommy Makeover

+2

Pregnancy causes significant changes in a woman’s body.  These changes vary from patient to patient and are permanent in most cases unless surgery is undertaken to reverse them.  They can affect the breast, abdomen, and lead to fat accumulation in the hips and thighs.  Many patients attempt diet and exercise, but this isn’t always helpful.  This problem can ultimately affect self-confidence, self-esteem, self-image and the quality of day-to-day life.  For these reasons, many patients request breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction.
The timing of surgery following pregnancy is important and several issues should be considered before proceeding with surgery.  It takes time for a new post pregnancy body to reach its new baseline following pregnancy.  During this period, stretched skin may contract, a swollen uterus may shrink, and the weight gained during pregnancy may gradually disappear.
The breasts also undergo significant changes with pregnancy and breast-feeding.  This results in breast enlargement, which continues with nursing.  After nursing is stopped, it takes time for the breasts to return to their new baseline.  At this point, the breasts may be smaller and have sag.  This process takes three to six months to occur.  All of these changes need to occur before a mommy makeover is considered.
In addition, we recommend that patients be done having children if they are considering abdominoplasty.  Breast-feeding and lactation should be stopped three to six months before proceeding with cosmetic breast surgery.  Ideally, patients should be within 10% of their ideal body weight and be in good health otherwise.  They should have adequate childcare and support available to them.
If all of these criteria are met, you should be an excellent candidate for a mommy makeover.  Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will help you make this determination.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

When to Get Mommy Makeover?

+2

The time to get a mommy makeover in your case is whenever you can fit it in to what sounds like a very busy life. You should plan on having help with the children and chores around the house for at least two weeks.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Timing of a mommy makeover

+2

There is no one right time to get a mommy makeover.  A tummy tuck should ideally not be performed if your are planning on having additional children.  Other than that choose the time that works best for you and your family given the recent addition to your family.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

When to have a Mommy Makeover

+2

You should consider a Mommy Makeover (Tummy Tuck, Breast Implants and Liposuction) after you are done having children and you have stopped breast feeding.  You need time to physically recover from the ordeal of pregnancy, and allow time for your breasts to return to normal.  Although liposuction and breast augmentation could be done before you complete your child-bearing years, a tummy tuck needs to wait until you are finished. 

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Timing of mommie makeover

+2

After a mommy makeover, we ask that our patients limit their lifting, especially in the first two weeks after their procedure. If patients are able to get help for two weeks such as a relative or a nanny, this helps greatly. However I know that mothers lift their babies despite our limitations, and do fine nonetheless.

While waiting until the kids are at least 2 may seem to be a good idea, scampering toddlers are more uniredictable and difficult to deal with than an 8 month old who can only crawl.

After women are finished having children and done with breast feeding for a period of 4-6 months, they generally feel ready to have their mommie makeover.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Timing of mommy makeover after childbirth

+1
You should wait until you are finished having babies and breast feeding. After that, it is really up to you. After surgery you will need help for the first several weeks and shouldn't lift anything heavy (including toddlers!). It may be easier to have the surgery before your baby becomes a toddler, but only you can decide this. Best wishes!

Grant Stevens, MD

Timing

+1

If you are no longer breast feeding and you have plateaued as far as your weight then you are ready. Please make sure you have enough support at home for your recovery time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Time to Get Mommy Makeover When You No Longer Need to Lift Children

+1

Thank you for your question. The most important timing decision is when you will no longer have to lift small children. After a Mommy Makeover it is crucial that you do no lifting for at least 2-3 weeks after surgery.

The other major timing factor is to lose your pregnancy weight and be as close to your ideal weight as possible.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

When to get a mommy makeover (Should I wait until baby is 2?)

+1

You should plan on your surgical procedure when you are in a position to rest for a couple of weeks, without the never-ending demands of motherhood.  Since lifting should be limited in the first few weeks, my patients either wait until the youngest child is a toddler or when they have family members available to help out.  Waiting until your youngest is 2 years of age is certainly reasonable and would also give you a chance to continue with a diet and exercise program that will put you in the best shape possible prior to your procedures.  Since these are truly elective procedures, you should plan on scheduling this when it is best for you and your family. 

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

When to do the mommy makeover

+1

You pose a very good question. On average, the recovery for my patients after a tummy tuck with some type of breast surgery to include a breast implant with or without a breast lift entails about 4-6 weeks of down time. The first two weeks you cannot lift more than 20lbs, and you will need help at home with the children as you will not be able to do most of the things you do for them at present. You might have to call on friends or family to help you as doing both surgeries is more challenging than just part of the mommy makeover. Besides that, I will also say that you should make sure there are no more children planned in the future, otherwise that pregnancy can undo all that you would have had performed.

Julio Garcia, MD