When on an Maoi Anti-depressant, How Much Local with Epinephrine Can You Have?

When on an maoi is there a limit to the amount of local shots with epinephrine you can have? would you be able to have enough to get your nose done? or your eyes? I have no concept as to how many local shots are used during either one of these surgeries. I would be willing to have the surgeries done separately if you can only have a certain amount of epi. If any epi at all is disallowed, what is the shortest duration to be off or cut back on maoi dose before surgery?

Drug interactions and rhinoplasty

+2

The amount of local anesthesia and epi needed to do a rhinoplasty or blepharoplasty is quite small.  Check with your surgeon but doing both procedures together shouldn't be a problem

Epinephrine usage in rhinoplasty and blepharoplasty

+2

Dear Elizabeth,

Both of these procedures done in an accredited surgical facility with an anesthesiologist are fine together. Xylocaine which is used to numb the areas comes in two forms, with epinephrine and without epinephrine. In these cases a lower amount of epinephrine would be used. Most patients on maoi medications stay on these prior to surgery and the adjustments are made by the anesthesiologist and surgeon. You will need to  inform your treating surgeon during your consultation and preoperative appointment and this will be addressed properly on your surgery day by your anesthesia provider. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD