When Getting Lip Augmentation, from Where is the Fat Harvested?

How often is the fat reject after a lip injection?

Permanent Lip Augmentation

+2

If you are interested in augmenting the proportions of your lips, I would not necessarily jump to fat grafting.  This procedure typically requires a form of sedation or general anesthesia and is most frequently performed to compliment other more advanced surgeries. 

I would first consider using injectable fillers for augmenting and recontouring your upper and lower lips.  Injectables such as Juvederm can be placed with precision and allow a more artistic application when compared to fat grafts.  If you enjoy to look and feel of your new lips, a longer lasting solution can be found in Silikon 1000.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer for Lip Augmentation

+1

I have been doing fat transfer for over 20 years.  I have great success harvesting fat from the abdomen, hips, buttocks, or even the thighs for fat grafting for lip augmentation.  Grafting fat is a scientific process and a very artistic cosmetic procedure.  Grafting "take" has improved dramatically since we first began fat grafting over 20 years ago.  With the latest technological advancements for fat grafting, one can expect the graft to "take" near 100%.    

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are other, more reliable methods of Lip Augmentation than fat transfer.  fat transfer, IMHO still has a significant risk of uneven resorption leading to asymmetry in the size and shape of the lips.  Consider more stable and reliable lip implants made of Alloderm (my choice for over 15 years) or silastic.

Fat injection to the lip

+1

DOnor sites for fat transfer really can come from any region on the body that has enought fat to harvest. Most commonly it is taken from the lower abdomen.

Rejection rate of fat in lips

+1

I use whatever donor site the patient wants.  Normally it is the abdomen.  I have never had a rejection but some of the fat will resorb.  It is not uncommon to need an extra injection to get the desired result.  There is a lot of motion in the lips so the fat take is variable.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Fat transfer for lip augmentation

+1
The fat is typically harvested from the best donor site area. This varies from patient to patient. The fat is removed in small syringes and then placed in special syringes in a centrifuge which spins the fat down and separates the blood and fluids from the fat. The fat is then injected into the requested site. The reinjection of fat really depends on how many of the cells take in the original procedure. Typically I do not repeat this procedure for a year. Unlike Juvederm or Restylane which dissipates over a four to six month time frame, the fat transfers that do take well will provide much longer lasting results so it is important to give it time and not over inject. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD