What to Do when Implant Removal Won't Stop Draining?

I had BA done 3 months ago, saline under the muscle. 6 wks after no complications my right breast started leaking a yellow serum from a pencil sized hole. With no signs of infection the dr. & I continued to watch it over the next month. At 1 months time and implant exposure, It was time to come out. The doctor simply removed it while I was awake (no internal cleansing) & stitched me back up with a drain. After 2 wks the drain was removed. It's been 4 weeks & I'm still leaking. What do I do now?

Infection of chest

+1

It sounds like you need a formal trip to the OR to wash out the pocket and maybe to remove the old capsule.  

Breast Implants

+1

Short cuts do not work.

The implant was infected and you need not only expplantation but also a full capsulectomy, IV antibiotics and continue with oral antibiotics till complete healing.

Contaminated breast implant capsule needs to be removed.

+1

Hi.

1)  I am sorry to tell you this, but it sounds like you need another operation.  The lining around the implant that was removed ( called the capsule) is still there and producing fluid.  Because it was exposed to the outside it is also contaminated (meaning there are some bacteria on it), and this makes it even less likely that the leaking will stop on its own.

2)  What you need is a capsulectomy.  Part of the capsule is removed and part is curetted (scraped off).  Then a suction drain is inserted and the wound is closed.  We leave the suction drain in for one week.  Good luck!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)