How Do You Know when You Have a Hanging Columella or Just Swelling? (photo)

I had a revision surgery two months ago to fix a small bump and hanging columella. Both the bump and hanging columella look exactly the same to me. The bump is small and doesn't bother me one bit. The hanging columella makes me look like I have a snout. The tip of my nose looks bulbous and I can see the inside of my nostrils too much! My doctor says it is swelling but I am worried it is scar tissue and not going to go away. I've attached a photo of my nose pre-op and today.

Hanging Columella at Two Months After Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question and photos. At two months after revision rhinoplasty, there is almost certainly still some swelling of the tip and columella present. Depending on the techniques used by your surgeon, your tip is likely to still come down a bit, reducing your nostril visibility.

I would recommend bringing up your concerns with your surgeon to see if there are easy, non-surgical maneuvers which can improve the appearance of your nose. These may include Kenalog (steroid) injections or taping the nose. Give it another 6-9 months to see how things are looking...

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon