When Hair Graft Post Transplant Does Not Grow?

I was always under the impression that once a Hair Graft is Planted in receipient area. It will grow no matter what ! But Now I have learnt there have been cases even from experienced HT Surgeons where the Hair Grafted in Patients have not grown even after 6-8 months. What could be the reason for this to happen ? How does one avoid this ? And if it does happen what needs to be done to correct this? Remove the transplanted hair not growing ? and transplant hair graft again in the same slit ?

+1

You will never get 100% growth of all grafts but with experienced technicians, at least 95% of the grafts will grow.  Some patients will continue to lose the native hair in the recipient site, and may need more grafts in the future.

+1

Usually if a graft does not grow it is due to one or more of at least 20 technical things I can think of. Many studies show that 1-3% of grafts do not grow. There is no way to guarantee that every graft will stay in place and grow epecially with the large number sessions of densely packed grafts. Also, in most cases we are dealing with male pattern baldness wherein hair follicles are continually being lost. If there is an area void of hair growth after 8 months, repeat transplantation is likely to be successful.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant that does not grow.

+1

It is quite unusual in my 35 years of doing hair replacement surgery to see hair transplants that do not grow. I would suggest if you've had a problem with this that you might investigate the Flemyng Mayer Flap. The hair does not fall out and grows immediately in it's new location.

Hair transplant guarantee

+1

Nothing in medicine is 100% and a doctor can loose his licence for suggesting that.  They can guarantee to do another transplant but sometimes if the first one doesnt work, neither will the 2nd one.  The reasons for transplant failure are many and we often dont know for sure.  However, some risks that can put the odds against you include diabetes and smoking.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist