When Would a Gummy Bear Implant Be Preferable to Use?

Perhaps for a slightly tuberous or constricted breast? My plastic surgeon says we are limited to 280cc for a smooth round silicone implants without risking a double bubble deformity. But I desire larger breasts. What are some other cases in which someone would choose to have a gummy bear implant placed if not to fix a slight deformity?

+4

In the case of the tuberous breast, the manner in which effective length of the inferior pole is increased is the main factor in the success of the breast augmentation.   The implant type has little to do with the result.  The size of the implant can be increased in most cases, but an exam would be necessary to determine this.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-photo-galleries.php

Sientra or Allergan 410

+3

Thank you for your question.  Today, We have two companies, Sientra and Allergan who make an implant with a more highly cohesive silicone gel.  These shaped implants are firmer (but still soft and feel great) and will shape the breast when a woman's natural shape is either small, or perhaps slightly tuberous or constricted as you describe.  These new implants are a significant improvement allowing the patient to select a larger size and safely avoid the double bubble deformity.  The implant will shape the breast over time and prevent this problem.  These implants have now been available to all US surgeons for over a year, but only a few have chosen to implement them into their practice.  Regular silicone implants are cohesive, but are softer and not effective in this situation.  

You should find a surgeon in your area who has experience with either the Sientra implants, or the Allergan 410 implant.  They can help you decide what's best for you.  

Best Regards

Dr. Schwartz

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

TUBEROUS BREASTS

+3

"Gummy bear" implants are an excellent choice for a woman with Tuberous Breasts. The main restriction in the use of these implants is in a women who does not want to follow her tissue dimensions and wants a more unnatural appearance.

Web reference: http://www.toddbkochmd.com

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants for Correction of Tuberous Breasts?

+2

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. Areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola,  if this is of concern.

All silicone gel breast implants used commonly today are  comprised of cohesive gel;  I preferred the use of these implants as opposed to saline  for most patients who are undergoing breast surgery to correct tuberous/constricted breast. Remember, that the shape/roundness of the lower poles of the breast will be determined by placement of the breast implants; if the patient is going to feel a breast implant, I would prefer them to feel the more "natural" feel of a silicone gel breast implant as opposed to a saline breast implant.

You may also find the attached link, discussing breast surgery to correct tuberous breasts, helpful to you.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tubularbreasts.htm

Gummy bear implants

+2

Due to their texture, gel filled implants ( " gummy bear " ) , provide a beautiful shape and feel very natural after surgery . I always prefer them . Depending on the actual condition of your breast , 280 cc plus the reduction of areolas ( or any extra maneuver required to fix your tuberous breast ) could give you a good start .  Very small and constricted breast do not allow to go very big in a first procedure . Once your breast have been reshaped ( which is the most important goal ) it is easier to go bigger any time. Implant sizes look different in different body frames . Best wishes

Breast Implant selection

+2

I strongly recommend that you try the breast implant sizes on in your surgeon's office prior to surgery.  There are some cases where a 280 cc implant would fit perfectly, but most women would find that size small.  Make sure you have tried it on and that it is exactly what you want.  Good luck.

Gummy Bear Breast Implants

+2

There is significant confusion about "Gummy Bear" breast implants. Most people think this is a specific type of implant. In fact, the term was coined by a very savvy west coast plastic surgeon who understands marketing to draw patients to his practice. The name caught on, but most people do not know its origin. Today, ALL silicone implants are "Gummy Bear." This simply means that the inside of the implant is very cohesive silicone. In fact, all of the silicone filled implants by Mentor, Allergan and Sientra except for Allergan's anatomic ones contain the same cohesive gel. The size implant you need is not related to the type of implant or what other people have had, but your measurements and your other anatomy. Discuss your desires, but trust your plastic surgeon if he/her is experienced in treating people like you. 

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augment

+1

This is a great question and surgeons could argue for days. Yes, they are great for reconstructive purposes. In aesthetic cases I like them on people who have no breast shape to start with and are looking for a natural result

Gummy bear is my preferred choice

+1

In women with tuberous or constricted breasts, I prefer Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to place the implant, reshape your breast tissue to increase upper pole fullness, elevate the breast higher and more medial to increase cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall will achieve the maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  This technique is effective in correcting tuberous or constricted breasts and fixing the other slight deformities you have described.  The gummy bear implant is a term that describes the use of a cohesive gel and is my preferred choice.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon