When Can I Go Back to Bikram Yoga After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty nearly 4 weeks ago and I'm itching to get to Bikram yoga (90 mins, 45 degrees centigrade/50% humidity). My bridge is still quite swollen but I'm waiting for 6 weeks to pass before I go back. Is this enough time to leave before going back?

Sounds right for exercise after Rhinoplasty

+1

The only concern is if you bump your nose. If yoga avoids any contact then you will be fine. I like the heat and humidity for your nose.

You can help your nose by putting a saline spray or gel up your nose prior to your exercise.

Best of Luck.

Rhinoplasty; How Soon After May Patient Return to Bikram Yoga

+1

Hi Lizzi,

You should discuss your Bikram yoga plans with your rhinoplasty surgeon. By 6 weeks after surgery you should be able to get through the class without worries. To be on the safe side, maybe your surgeon also enjoys being punished in the 104 degree yoga room and could attend your first class with you.

If you are in the Encino area, I have a series of classes and will go to your first class with you, acting as your attending physician. Good luck and enjoy your new nose.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

You can return anytime, but check with your surgeon

+1

You really should be ready to return to Yoga anytime, but it is best to check with your surgeon before starting any activity. In the first week or so after surgery, we like you to limit activities that increase pressure in your nose or raise your blood pressure. You are now four weeks out and should be just fine. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

You Can Return When Your Body is Ready

+1

Most of our patients have only very minimal swelling 2-3 weeks after their rhinoplasty ,so we will usually allow them to return to full activity without restriction at that time. Having stated this, your body will usually tell you when you can safely return to an activity. If you experience pain and discomfort or significant swelling, then you are not yet ready and should give it another couple of weeks before trying again.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait at least 2 months

+1

Hello Lizzi

The temperatures you quote are extreme for a patient who had a rhinoplasty 4 weeks ago. You describe some residual swelling on the outside and I am sure that reflects residual swelling on the inside. I would go by what your plastic surgeon recommends, but I would suggest waiting as long as possible and a minimum of 2 months. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Bikram Yoga and Rhinoplasty

+1

As you know this can Bikram can generate alot of heat which can contribute to nasal swelling. While your rhinoplasty should be able to tolerate this at 6 weeks, you may find it uncomfortable due to nasal congestion with feelings of sinus pressure. Any positions which force you to strain or bear down against a closed glottis (Valsalva) maneuver) will also produce increased swelling in the head and neck area.

Alternatively, high humidity conditions can promote nasal drainage and evacuation such as a warm shower.

This is a unique question and one I have never been asked. I would definitley consult with your rhinoplasty surgeon. In any event, I would start off extremely slowly and proceed from there with gradual and increasing exposure to these conditions.