When I Gained Weight After a Tummy Tuck?

Why is it after my tummy tuck I gained weight and the weight gain is more on my upper part of my tummy my lower part is still flat. Will my upper part go back to normal once I loose weight.

Weight Gain after Tummy Tuck

+1

Weight stability is key after tummy tuck and liposuction.  Adding weight can cause disproportioned growth.

Weght gain

+1

This is a common problem. With weight gain you will gain weight proportionately in all cells. If you have more fat deposits in one area this area will enlarge more with weight gain

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Weight gain after tummy tuck?

+1

This scenario is quite common and it has to with the volume of fat inside your abdominal cavity. Losing weight should reduce that volume and your upper abdomen will better match the lower abdomen. Thanks for sharing and best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

This is the dilemma after liposuction or a tummy tuck:  some patients who previously had an 'alarm', i.e. a prominent muffin top, thighs rubbing together, etc. suddenly don't have that 'alarm any more.  They become complacent, reduce their activity and dietary restraint, and gain weight.

Remember, you are just as prone to gaining weight after the surgery as before, and that the excess fat will go somewhere (i.e. the spots you are describing).

I advise all my patients that the battle is never over, even after a surgery that significantly improves their contour.  

Hopefully by greater exercise and diet, these symptoms of weight gain will diminish and you can fully enjoy the results of your surgery.

Brent Moelleken, MD

When you lose weight your abdominal contour may improve

+1

Without an examination it is almost impossible to answer this question.  It is possible that the inferior portion of the fascial plication was tighter than than the lower portion, below the umbilicus.  When you gained weight it may be all intra-abdominal fat.   This fat is totally controlled by diet and exercise.  If you were flat initially after surgery and the upper abdominal bulge occurred after a weight gain then if you lose the weight it may go back to its original position.  

Hello

+1

Without seeing a picture or examining you it would be very hard to give you accurate advice. Having a tummy tuck doesn’t mean you will not gain weight. You didn’t say how long ago it has been since your surgery. It takes 6-9 months for all swelling to subside.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Weight gain after a tummy tuck

+1

If you have gained weight after a tummy tuck and it is going to the upper portion of your abdomen, this is likely representative of intra-abdominal fat or internal fat. As you lose weight this should become flatter. Tummy tucks generally address the lower abdomen more than the upper abdomen. Please consult with your plastic surgeon for more information and for an in depth examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Concerns after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question but I think you'll be best off asking the same question of your plastic surgeon, who is in the best position to respond accurately. Online consultants, without more information, can only speculate as to what you are referring to.

Tummy tuck and weight gain

+1

It is hard to answer your questions without photos. How long ago was your surgery, did you have a full or mini TT, did the surgeon plicate the abdominal muscles during the tummy tuck. How much weight have you gained. But in general when you gain weight the upper abdomen becomes more full compared to the lower abdomen. I don't want to confuse you bu need more information to give you a reasonable answer.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon