When Should I Expect to See Results with Palomar Non-ablative Laser Resurfacing ?

I got the palomar non-ablative laser resurfacing treatment done to my entire face to help with melasma a week ago. As expected my skin was red for a couple hours followed by slight puffiness. The next day I noticed the dark spots had gotten darker and I had this grid like print on my face which I was told is normal and the dead cells will flake off. I havent had any flakiness and the spots are the same (a week later)...how long do I wait till I notice flakiness or skin renewal ?

Palomar Non-Ablative Laser Resurfacing

+1

Thank you for your question. Melasma is a very challenging condition. Lasers may improve the skin, make it worse, or do nothing. If you are experiencing normal pigmentation from the laser, this should resolve in 3-4 weeks as the pigment is being pulled up to the surface of the skin, and then it will flake off.  If it does not resolve, you should your physician. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Laser resurfacing healing

+1

flaking from the laser resurfacing should occur within one week usually and up to two depending on the laser. Rarely three weeks might be needed for more aggressive lasers. If by two weeks the darker areas aren't lifting up see your doctor.  We have found that with the Fraxel Dual for pigment, the flaking can be made to look less dark sooner by using Clarisonic brushing for some patients but your physician needs to approve this for you depending on the laser used and the time of its use within the post-operative period.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/fraxel/index.html

How long does it take for full results after laser resurfacing?

+1

Initially you typically have some swelling, redness, and tightness of the skin.  That typically resolves after several days depending on the technique used.

By 10 days most of the "flaking" or "shedding" of hyperpigmentation has occurred.  Some slow increase in the collagen production is expected over the next several months as well.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon