When is It too Early to Seek Consultations on Revision Rhinoplasty?

I am only a few weeks out of a open rhinoplasty. My result is everything I ask my surgeon not to do! At this point I no longer trust him to be objective. Can I start seeking a 2nd opinion from other doctors soon? I know I must wait a full year for a revision but want to be proactive during this time and seek hope that things can be improved. My doctor says the shape of things are what I can expect to see in the future and I am not very swollen at all.Thank you for your time:)

When is it too early to seek revision rhinoplasty consultations?

+1

It's never really too early to seek out another consultation, but giving it at least a few months may be beneficial in allowing the new surgeon to see a closer approximation of what the nose will look like when it's fully healed.

Although its never really too early to have another consultation, it can be too early for surgery. Usually a period of greater than 6 months (preferably 12) allows for the nose to be fully healed since you don't want to operate on a "moving" (i.e. healing) target.

Good luck,

Michael Kim, MD

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Its Your Nose: Seeking a 2nd Opinion is Never a Bad Idea

+1

Although undoubtedly too early to discern the extent of the rhinoplasty issues that concern you, a 2nd opinion is simply a discussion.  It can make you feel less anxious, 'talk you down from the ledge', make you feel better about your decision, give you a sense of strategy for the future, and potentially even restore your confidence in your original surgeon.  

So, even though just a few weeks out, it sounds like you are in need of talking through things and reassurrance.  If you aren't able to get this from your rhinoplasty surgeon because of your current feelings, then you absolutely should find another who can help you wade through these emotions so you don't feel like you're going it alone!  Whenever I encounter patients such as you, I provide them with my assessment of what's occurred, what they should do, when they should do it (usually about 12 months after the first surgery), and try if possible to restore their relation with the original surgeon out of respect and collegiality.      

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

A second opinion about your nose job may be quite helpful for you.

+1

As you stated, several weeks post rhinoplasty is too soon to consider any further intervention, but it sounds like you're concerned by your result. A second opinion may put your mind at ease, since it's normal to see a lot of swelling, especially in your tip, at this early stage of the game.

Another option would be to re-ask your question with photos for us to evaluate and comment on.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A few weeks is too soon to evaluate the results from a Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty needs to be spaced at a minimum of 6 months.  This allows adequate time for the nasal skin to heal properly.  If you have indeed lost faith in your surgeon consult experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons who understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty.

When can I get a revision rhinoplasty?

+1

A few weeks is far too early.  The stress and concern you feel is common but trust your surgeon for now.  However, can you be proactive about your result and a potential revision?  Sure.  I would take good, consistent photos of yourself every two weeks and then look at the series after two months.  You'll be surprised how much your nose will change.  It will continue to evolve and change it's look for about 6 to 9 months.  I can be difficult but be patient.  

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's definitely too early now!

+1

A few weeks after a rhinoplasty is too early to assess a nose after rhinoplasty.  Although you may feel there is no swelling, there is no way to know exactly how much swelling there is so soon.  Most surgeons wouldn't really be able to give you any good opinions yet.

I would wait at least 2-3 months before getting a second opinion.  And the surgeon will probably tell you that the revision may be attempted 9- 12 months later.

You may also consider using fillers for revision options.  You would need to wait until about 3 months after surgery before considering fillers.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second opinion for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Being that you are only a few weeks out from rhinoplasty, it is difficult to make an assessment at this point because of swelling and stiffness.  You shold wait at least 6 months before going for an evaluation and probably wait about a year to have the surgery if that is what you desire.