When Should a Doctors Age Be Factored into Choosing Him As Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

I have read a lot about choosing a surgeon. Mostly looking at their qualifications, years experience, before and afters, speaking to or seeing previous patients and their understanding of your desired outcome. But nothing ever mentions a doctors age. I know of a world- renowned reconstructive surgeon with years of experience and happy patients yet he is 68 years of age. I am concerned of "steady hands" and aftercare. So if everything falls into place, should age be a factor or not?

Age of surgeon and rhinoplasty surgery.

+2

Rhinoplasty surgeons should have a great deal of experience. They call it the "practice" of medicine for a reason. Rhinoplasty is probably the most difficult cosmetic procedure since it takes 1 year to see the final result of your work.There have been many surgeons who do outstanding work into their 80's. It is not the hands that deteriorate with advanced age it would be the mind. If the surgeon is excellent he will keep this---if he doesn't know who u r the day of surgery, u might want a different surgeon--just kidding!

Age or experience?

+1

68 years old is not old for a plastic surgeon.  That surgeon likely has had so much experience with rhinoplasty that he really has the surgery down pat by that time in his career.  When it comes to rhinoplasty, experience counts for a lot!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

As long as the Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal beauty) for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose and face, age within reason should not be an issue.

Age of Surgeon a Consideration? #nosejob

+1

Hmmm. We are all going to get there one day. This is pretty simple. If the surgeon does great work and continues to do so and have a great reputation then you should be fine. It's all about the feeling you get when you see the surgeon and check into their reputation. I am in Scottsdale and I know many more mature surgeons I will call them, who have excellent hands and do amazing work. Rhinoplasty surgery is my passion if you want to stop by.

Richard J. Brown, MD

+1

Great question! I am asked this by resident surgeons frequently. I agree with Dr Mayer that "experience" of time has a great deal to add to the decision of which doctor to use in rhinoplasty. I divide the life of a "cosmetic" plastic surgeon in to there phases. Now that I consider myself a senior surgeon (age 64). Phase I- after residency til year 10 post training. The "excitement" phase, ready to tackle all cases. Though each residency should expose the doc to rhinoplasty. That is in some cases far from the fact. Thus I recommend newer docs to ask to second assist or observe more experienced docs doing rhinoplasties until they have a real comfort level. Phase II- The "Growth" phase is the period of time when the doc is very confident in their expertise and feels very comfortable with doing rhinoplasties. This is the mid practice period from 10 to 20 years. Here the docs pick and chose the cases they desire to do. Finally the Phase III- the "Senior" time very experienced, really "knows" their stuff. As this senior PS if my vision/hands are steady/skills sharp I will continue to preform rhinoplasties. But at the end of the day you the patient must decide upon who you desire to preform your surgery, whether young, mid age or senior a boarded surgeon can achieve wonderful results. Best of luck. 

Rhinoplasty and Surgeon's Age

+1

Experience of the surgeon, is a much more important factor in rhinoplasty than their chronological age.   I know many surgeons who are well into their seventies and who are excellent surgeons.  If you communicate well with your surgeon and feel comfortable with him, his age should not be a significant issue.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Age of surgeon and surgery

+1

If the surgeon has steady good hands and is sharp-minded, it should not be a problem. Good luck.

experience really matters in rhinoplasty

+1

Experience with thousands of rhinoplasty procedures is probably the most important aspect  to give consistent results in the field rhinoplasty.  Rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty are a  discipline and  it is the hardest operation to perform in the field cosmetic surgery.  Experience  really does matter.

+1

Rhinoplasty is the most complicated facial procedure that facial specialists perform. For that reason, experience is a critical factor. If you've found a highly experienced 68 year old surgeon who has been producing great results, you're likely in great hands. If you're concerned about your surgeon's age, you might ask the practice to put you in touch with a couple of recent patients to whom you can direct your questions. You're much better off seeing a rhinoplasty with 40 years of experience than you are seeing one with one year of independent experience. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Senior Surgeons

+1

It is an old myth that surgeons need a steady hand!  One of the finest microsurgeons in the world has a significant tremor, but can sew together blood vessels 1 mm in diameter.  As for the ripe old age of 68 (some sarcasm), that is still young for a healthy individual!  No, they will fail at professional sports, mostly because of loss of strength and speed, but performing superlative surgery only requires the brain and hand-eye coordination. If you are referring to a world renowned nasal/facial reconstructive surgeon in Tuscon, you are in great hands.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS