When Can I De-rotate my Tip After a Medpor Implant and Open Revision Rhino? I Now Have a Doubly Bulbous Thick Indian Nose.

I am at 3 weeks post op after having my nose angled up 3 mm w/ Medporpore-tex/ear cartilage & regret it. I want my tip back in the place it was; my nose is more bulbous than ever. I would like to remove this 6 months post-op & de-rotate. If the surgeon needs to put in another Medpor implant (w/out angling), I am okay with that. However, this will be my 3rd rhino. What can I do? I don't care how it will look in a year--I've seen how it looks when it's unswollen & still regret this.

When can I de-rotate my tip after a Medpor implant and open revision rhino?

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your result. After 3 weeks, you are still going to be considerably swollen and this will influence the appearance of your result. It is difficult to predict what your nose will look like 6 months from now, and I would advise against trying to remove the implant after only 6 months. From here, I would recommend waiting and see how you heal. Swelling can result in the following issues during the healing period:

1) Asymmetry
2) Irregularities
3) A bulbous appearance

If you are still not satisfied with the appearance of your nose when the swelling has resolved, then a revision may be something to consider. You should wait at least a year before considering any type of revision. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.   At 6 months, you may feel differently.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bulbous tip from Medpor Implant

+1

Hi,

My advice is not to have another mepor implant. L shaped implants and medpor implants can cause bulbous tips if they extend into the tip area. What I would suggest is a custom carved silicone implant and revision of your tip with cartilage graft reconstruction. See links  below for further explanation.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS