When CoolSculpting Applicator is Applied, Exactly How Long Before They Should Start the Cooling/chiller?

CoolSculpting Application

+1

You and your clinican first select the areas to be treated. Your clinican will position the device on your body. The device will then draw the bulge up between two cooling panels. The sensation is a firm pull and pressure – enough of a pull to ensure the selected tissue will be cooled most efficiently. 

Coolsculpting

+1

Coolsculpting works excellent in appropriately selected patients. This is more about the fat type and location rather than when the cooling starts.  The suction applicator is applied first. Once suction and attachment is confirmed , the cooling process is initiated.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting uses an applicator that applies vacuum, chills, then massages

+1

The Zeltiq applicator is applied carefully to ensure appropriate fit and suction. There is no rule as to exactly how long after the applicator is applied and after suction is applied before cooling has to begin with CoolSculpting. In fact, occasionally for firm areas, we might apply massage after the suction starts before chilling to theoretically loosen up the tissue. In general, only a minute or so occurs before we turn on the cooling.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Cooling can start within a minute of applying the handpiece for fat reduction.

+1

I like to apply the handpiece for CoolSculpting fat reduction and then make the patient comfortable (pillows, books, ipad, tv, snacks within reach). Once the patient is relaxed and content I switch on the cooling. This is usually a minute or less after the application.  There is really no reason to delay since actual treatment does not start until the cooling begins.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Starting the Cooling with Zeltiq

+1

After the coolsculpting applicator is applied and a good suction is achieved, the cooling will be activated. It takes probably less than 1 minute.

Cooling cycle take 10-20 seconds to begin in Coolscultping.

+1

Coolsculpting by Zeltiq employs an applicator that draws skin and fat into a treatment zone for fat cell destruction. The treatment applicator has control buttons for suction as well as cooling. Once the medical provider is satisfied that the applicator is properly attached to the treatment area the cooling cycle is activated. This entire process takes about 10-20 seconds. Once the cooling cycle begins, the patient may experience a cold and pinching sensation that last 5-7 minutes. At that point the skin is numb and the subsequent treatment is usually painless.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

How long should one wait before starting the cooling during CooSculpting?

+1

After one applies the CoolSculpting applicator to the area being treated it only takes a matter of a minute or less to achieve a tight enough seal for one to turn on the cooling .

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

The CoolSculpting chiller should start almost immediately after application

+1

When I use the CoolSculpting system in my office, I apply a gel pad to the skin and then apply the actual device over that gel pad.  For a minute or so, there is only suction while I ensure the roll of fat to be treated is adequately covered by the underlying gel pad and that adequate suction of the fat roll has been achieved.  Once I have verified placement (usually after a minute or so) I start the chilling process.  The chilling usually takes 1 hour or so for a full treatment per area.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon