When Should I Be Able to Close my Eyes Properly Following Eyelid Surgery?

Its been two weeks since I had upper and lower eyelid surgery and am still unable to close my eyes properly especially on my right side. My husband says that it looks funny when I blink too.

Eyelid closure problem after blepharoplasty

+2

Although difficulty with eye closure after blepharoplasty can be normal in some cases, it certainly warrants seeing your surgeon. In lower blepharoplasty, the fact of having undergone surgery makes the muscle that helps close the lid a little lazy. It recovers with time, usually within the first 7-10 days though this may be different for everyone. Swelling is another factor that can contribute to lid closure problems.

However, the fact that you are having trouble after two weeks and that it is asymmetrical, it deserves an evaluation by your surgeon. Even if there is no need for action, he will recommend to you measures to protect your eye from dryness, some of which have been mentioned here. However, in case it does require something, it is, as with everything, better to get evaluated sooner rather than later.

All the best.

Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

In some cases this never returns to normal.

+2

At two weeks however, there is still swelling and lid disfunction from that swelling that may account for the difficulty closing the eyes.  It is important to understand that many things do improve with time.  Some things don't.  It is appropriate to discuss these concerns with your surgeon.  However you might find that your surgeon is defensive rather than helpful.  Please keep in mind that things soften and look less harsh after surgery and that the time frame to judge the surgery is generally 4 to 6 months.  Consider reporting with photographs for a more specific response.

Post blepharoplasty eyelid concerns

+2

After blepharoplasty surgery there can be persistent swelling especially along the lower eyelid.  With swelling the lower eyelid can drop away from the eye which can cause tearing and possibly trouble with eyelid closure.  You should see your surgeon to assess your situation.  In some cases a temporary suture can be placed between your upper and lower eyelid to help with eyelid closure until swelling has subsided.  I hope this helps.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

The blink mechanism can be affected

+1

You are still relatively early in your post op healing period. Although most of the swelling will resolve in that time, scars that are produced from surgery can take months to soften which will allow better closure. In addition, sometimes the nerves that are responsible for enervating the muscle the closes the eye can be weakened from the surgical dissection. This usually will recover as well, in most patients, but it can take a bit longer [months]

Patients is your best bet for now, and talk to your surgeon. He/she should guide your through this healing period.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

I would say within two weeks, the eyes should close after an upper and lower eyelid surgery.  You should ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your eyelid surgery this question.  

Eye closure with blepahroplasty

+1

In my opinion, you shoudl be able to close your eyes once the swelling has come down. If youa re not able to close your eyes after two weeks, you should be evaluated by your doctor.

You should be able to close your eyes after lid rejuvenation

+1

Short of unusual swelling, you should be able to close your eyes after lid rejuvenation. The lid lag and scleral show can become uncomfortable, and the eye prone to dryness. If needed taping at night may help, and also ointment at night, and drops during the day. Consult with your surgeon, however after two weeks you should also be able to massage the lid to relax the result and bring the lid down.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com