When Getting Breast Implants What is Better in Front of the Muscle or Behind?

I always wear a padded bra I'm unsure which size to go and still look natural. I think i want to go for 425cc-450cc

Small implants behind the muscle

+1
I always recommend small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. 425 to 450 cc implants will not fit retro-pectorally, will dislocate inferiorly and laterally requiring revision. I suggest you consider a smaller size that is more appropriate. If you are size 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. If you are size 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal. Best Wishes, Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Baltimore breast augmentation patients consider implants behind or in front of the muscles

+1

I frequently perform breast augmentations, and I tell my patients that to get the most natural look to have the implants placed underneath the muscles. However, keep in mind that if they are placed there, the implant will shift when the muscles are contracted. Several of my patients who exercise a lot or play tennis don't like this possibility and get the implants placed over the muscle. Also, if you have a lot of breast tissue to begin with then you can "hide" the implants with the breast tissue and get the implants over the muscles. Going over the muscle still give a nice look, but the implants can be a little more noticeable. Either way, everyone is unique and it's hard to give you an exact answer without seeing you first, but I hope this helps! Thank you for your question. Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.baltimoreplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/breast/breast-augmentation/

+1

Most patients are better served by placement behind the muscle. The size can be determined by trying on sizers in the office. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-photo-galleries.php

Breast implants over or under muscle

+1

There are times when above or below the muscle are appropriate depending on the build of the chest and breasts, but for the majority of my patients, a partial or dual plane under the muscle is the preferred choice. This placement gives a more natural appearance and a lower risk of capsular contracture.

It is always best to find a surgeon who is board certified, and has many before and after photos to show you. Take care in evaluating the quality of results, as well as the quality of the photos themselves. Both of these speak a lot to the surgeon's care in attention to detail. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.EsanaMedSpa.com

New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation over or under muscle

+1

most patients will benefit from having the best augmentation procedure with implants placed using the dual plane technique which is the majority of implant placed under the muscle. In some instances you may benefit from having it placed over the muscle, however implant palpability and visibility/rippling and capsular contracture may be higher in those instances.

BA Behind the muscle or in front

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

There are some indications for subglandular placement of a breast implant but for the most part, a submuscular placement is used in my practice. It provides greater tissue coverage over the implant, making the upper portion of the implant less visible and reduces the rate of capsular contracture. As for questions regarding size, I recommend you please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon as he/she will guide you with their professional recommendation as well as taking your desires into consideration.

Best of luck to you

Implants in front or behind the muscle?

+1

There is not a right or wrong place. It depends on the breast and the goals. The majority of the time it is placed under the muscle which tends to reduce the roundness at the top and has a slightly lower chance of capsule contracture. If you have enough breast tissue already than above the muscle is sometimes a better way to go.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/procedures/breast-surgery/

Implant position

+1

In most patients I prefer to place implants behind the muscle to provide more superior pole soft tissue coverage.

Below or above the muscle

+1

The perfect placement of an implant really depends on your body characteristics, implant type used and your goals.

If you have adequate upper pole tissue, then I would recommend a subfascial (above the muscle) pocket.

If you have thin upper pole, then I would recommend a variant of Dual Plane (below the muscle).

Good luck.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Implant placement position

+1

I almost always place implants below the muscle since I feel that yields the most aesthetic appearance.  This also creates a more natural look with less incidence of capsular contracture.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon