When Will Bleeding Stop? (photo)

Hello doctors! I had most of the bleeding stopped until the day the stitches removed (day 03) then right after the removal of stitches, it started bleeding again just like day 01. Now I'm on my 4th day and some small areas are still bleeding. they said i should clean the wounds up to the point that there is no blood visible to have a better healing. should i completely remove all the dried blood that mixed on the wound itself aside from the blood around it? thanks in advance! :)

Questions about postoperative bleeding should be referred to your surgeon.

+2

Wounds should never be cleaned so vigorously that they bleed. Any persistent bleeding after an operation should be brought to the attention of your surgeon.

When Will Bleeding Stop?

+2

Over the internet is not the place to obtain medical care. Return to your surgeon ASAP to be evaluated and cared for. 

Clean off all old blood?

+2

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is commons to have a little bleeding in the first week with manipulation of the nose.  This happens especially when patients are too agressive in cleaning their nose. The disturb blood clots that haven't fully healed yet, and bleeding restarts.  In my practice, I have my patients leave their nose alone, not take off blood clots.  They let them fall off on their own, and only put antibiotic ointment on the areas.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding at 4 days after surgery not common

+2

Hello Bryan,

Thank your for the question and the photos.  From your photos it does not appear that your are bleeding.  Active bleeding at post-operative day 4 is uncommon and if it is occurring your plastic surgery doctor should evaluate you for either a surgical reason for bleeding or a physiologic reason for bleeding (slow blot clotting).  We must also be careful about calling swelling that is leaking through an incision or suture holes bleeding.  In your case, the increase in projection of your nose and the alar rim reduction may result in tightness of the skin closure as well as swelling (edema) that can leak out of the suture holes in the first few days.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD