When is a BA unsafe to perform at the same time as a BL?

My PS is going to perform a BL with "cosmetic reduction" on me. I came in to the consult want a BL with augmentation! I'm 52, healthy and currently a 38 C, wanted moderate profile 350 cc implants. He said I could have the BA 6-12 months after the BL. I this to make more money? I'm already spending close to 20K on PS when I have the BL and lipo! I'm very disappointed! Top reasons it would be unsafe to do during BL?

#BreastLift and #BreastAugmentation At the Same Time

+1
It is not normally an issue to perform a breast augmentation and lift at the same time. However, there are circumstances where this is favorable for a patients overall success and safety. Normally, surgeons would recommend it for safety or they are not comfortable with the procedure. If you are concerned, seek a second opinion to confirm this from a second surgeon.

Vincent Marin, MD
MarinAesthetics.com

Breast augmentation and lift at same surgery

+1
The primary reason not to perform breast augmentation a left at the same time in my mind would be a patient desiring in excessively large implant. An implant that is excessive would not allow closure to occur. The plastic surgery must educate the patient that a modest implant plus the natural breast tissue can result in the size that the patient desires. Another reason would be concerns about the health of the nipple and the areolar. Especially if there's been prior surgery.  Typically if there's been no prior surgery and an agreement on a reasonable size implant, a breast lift and augmentation can be done routinely at the same time

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1

It is always recommended to have a liposuction with transfer to your buttocks first as this guarantees more fat to be transferred than when it is combined with another procedure . As a surgeon is only allowed to take only about 1000cc of fat in a combo procedure instead of 4000cc in a single procedure.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Safety of combined surgery

+1
Although many surgeons (myself included) will offer selected patients breast lift and augmentation at the same operation, the risks are lower if the procedures are separated.  I think that too often we, patients and surgeons, get too impatient for our own good and we should all probably be doing more staged augmentation mastopexy.  I highly doubt your surgeon is motivated by money and rather suspect his motivation is your safety, well being and aeshtetics. 

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Is breast lift and breast augmentation at the same time safe?

+1
Thank you for your question.  Many plastic surgeons feel it is safer to separate breast augmentation and breast lift and to 2 procedures.  In fact about half of plastic surgeons prefer this approach.  Today many plastic surgeons will do the procedure at the same  time.

I doubt that the surgeon is doing this for monetary reasons but is doing what the surgeon is most comfortable with to give you the best result.

For more information on combination of breast augmentation and breast lift please read the following link:

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast lift an augmentation at 1 stage

+1
Thanks for sharing your story.
Traditionally surgeons offered breast augmentation and lift as 2 separate procedures, however that means a revision rate of 100%.
Newer techniques and the use of form stable implants allow us to offer this procedure in 1 stage.
However, the revision rate is around 25-40%. Which is better than 100% in the 2 stage approach.
So you just need to be aware that should you venture down the 1 stage path there is a 25-40% chance of needing another operation. With this 2nd procedure usually being a minor correction that can be performed in rooms e.g. scar revision, nipple position correction.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1
   Plastic surgeons will have preferences.  I perform the lift and the augmentation at the same time.  If you are healthy I would perform the liposuction at the time of the breast surgery as well.

+1
Thanks for the question and I am sure the answers will be divided into 2 camps - ie SAFE and NOT SAFE. But I think you probably misunderstood your surgeon's quote because 20K probably also includes the delayed augment, at least that seems in the neighborhood. The answer also depends on the type of lift. For the full breast lift, at a recent national meeting surgeons were divided 50/50 as to whether they did the augment at the same time as the lift or later. For the past 5 years I tend to prefer to do it later after 25 years of doing them simultaneously. Every surgeon who has several years of experience has at least one horror story where their patient wound up losing one or both nipples after the simultaneous operation. We delay the augment to basically eliminate that risk, it just doesn't seem worth it even if the risk is quite low, because you never know who it is going to happen to.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation and breast lift together or in stages is a judgement call

+1
Performing a Breast augmentation at the same time as a Breast Lift is rarely "unsafe". However, performing these two operations together is much more complex than either procedure done separately. Minor complications such as infection, hematoma, asymmetries and patient dissatisfaction with the outcome can be higher as well. Many experienced Plastic Surgeons will selectively do these procedures in stages in order to improve the predictability of the outcome for you and lower your risk of complications. 

Having elective surgery done best is expensive and Plastic Surgeons should understand your concerns. However, there is little or no financial benefit to your Plastic Surgeon when recommending a staged breast rejuvenation procedure. It is all about lowering your risk of complications and disappointment which can be even more costly to you in the long run.

Regards, 

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

When is a Breast augmentation unsafe to perform at the same time as a Breast Lift?

+1

Thank you for the question.  The breasts on location/lifting operation is a more complex operation than either one of the operations done separately. Given the complexity  of the combination breast augmentation/lifting operation and the greater risk of revisionary breast surgery needed, there are good plastic surgeons who will insist on doing the procedures separately.
For me, if I see a patient who needs a great degree of lifting, who has lost a lot of skin elasticity, or  whose goal is a very large augmentation then I think it is best to do the procedures in 2 stages (in order to avoid serious complications).   In other words, doing the procedure in one stage does increase the risks of complications in general and the potential need for further surgery. This increased risk must be weighed against the practical benefits of a single stage procedure (which most patients would prefer).

Conversely, if I see a patient who requires minimal to moderate lifting along with a small to moderate size augmentation (and has good skin quality), then doing the procedure one stage is much safer. Nevertheless, the potential risks  are greater with a 1 stage  procedure and the patient does have a higher  likelihood of needing revisionary surgery.
  In regards to the scars associated with breast lifting surgery, most patients (if properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives  psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry.
 I hope that this summary of SOME  of the issues surrounding breast augmentation/lifting surgery  is helpful to you and other women considering this procedure in the future.
 The attached link may also be helpful.