When Should I Begin Taking Arnica Montana for my TT??

Arnica before Tummy Tuck

+2

Although I've had a good experience with Arnica for my facial plastic surgery patients, I do not think there is strong evidence supporting the role of Arnica with a tummy tuck.  At the same time, I do not think there is a big down side to it either.  So if your PS advocating for Arnica before a tummy tuck, please ask him/her about his/her specific protocol.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu

Housotn, TX

No need for arnica in a tummy tuck

+2

Arnica is best for minimizing brusing after facial surgery.  A tummy tuck shouldn't bruise really at all unless it also has liposuction so there isn't much benefit from arnica for you.

No evidence that arnica decreases bruising for a tummy tuck or any operation.

+1

I would advise against arnica.  There is no evidence that it helps bruising and one study suggested that it might even make bleeding worse when taken in high doses.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Arnica for tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question. The clinical effect of arnica on minimizing bruising after surgery is debatable. Generally speaking the bruising after tummy tuck is minimal and usually not a concern for many patients since it alway hidden under cloths. 

Does Arnica help prevent bruising?

+1

Hocus pocus. There is no scientific evidence that Arnica helps prevent bruising. Most physicians know this perfectly well, but prescribe it anyway because patients expect it; and in the homeopathic doses used, it probably does no harm.