When Should I Begin Taking Arnica Montana for my TT??

Arnica before Tummy Tuck

+2

Although I've had a good experience with Arnica for my facial plastic surgery patients, I do not think there is strong evidence supporting the role of Arnica with a tummy tuck.  At the same time, I do not think there is a big down side to it either.  So if your PS advocating for Arnica before a tummy tuck, please ask him/her about his/her specific protocol.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu

Housotn, TX

No need for arnica in a tummy tuck

+2

Arnica is best for minimizing brusing after facial surgery.  A tummy tuck shouldn't bruise really at all unless it also has liposuction so there isn't much benefit from arnica for you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

No evidence that arnica decreases bruising for a tummy tuck or any operation.

+1

I would advise against arnica.  There is no evidence that it helps bruising and one study suggested that it might even make bleeding worse when taken in high doses.

Arnica for tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question. The clinical effect of arnica on minimizing bruising after surgery is debatable. Generally speaking the bruising after tummy tuck is minimal and usually not a concern for many patients since it alway hidden under cloths. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Does Arnica help prevent bruising?

+1

Hocus pocus. There is no scientific evidence that Arnica helps prevent bruising. Most physicians know this perfectly well, but prescribe it anyway because patients expect it; and in the homeopathic doses used, it probably does no harm.

J. Brian Boyd, MD