When Can I Apply Makeup to a Shave Excised Mole?

My mole was shave excised and cauterized about one week ago and has yet to scab up. I've been cleaning the site with Bactine disinfecting spray, applying Fougera brand antibiotic ointment 2-3 times daily, and covering with a bandage ever since the removal. I keep the area pretty well moisturized which might be why I haven't developed any scarring.

Mole removal

+1

We encourage pts to keep the area clean and to keep the area moist, never allow the area to scab over as this will encourage scarring.  It is okay to wear make-up on the area.  

Post-operative care of a shave excised mole

+1

After a shave excision of a mole, I advise my patients to keep the area clean by gently washing twice daily with soap and water and then applying either plain petroleum jelly or Aquaphor Healing Ointment. Band aids are optional after the first day. Application of an antibiotic ointment is NOT recommended. Makeup can be used anytime after the first day.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

You don't want moles to scab when they are removed!

+1

You want the area to be moist and you don't want it to scab. In simple terms, scabs equate to scars. Keeping the area clean and moist is your best bet to minimize scarring. You can apply make-up, though, that's fine. You just want the skin to be new, pink, soft skin. Not hard and crusty. You also don't need to keep a bandage on it anymore. Just a few days for a bandage is fine.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD