When and How Should Massages Be Done After Tumescent Lipo to My Abdomen?

I just had water jet lipo done few days ago and was wondering when I should start massaging the area. My biggest dreads post op are uneven and dimple skin. What should I use for the massage? Can I use olive oil, or should I use lotions? Another thing is regarding compression garments, mine only covers from my torso to my lower abdomen, which seems like all my fluid retention goes to my pelvic area. The marks that compression garments make won't be permanent right?

Massage after Liposuction?

+1

You'll find that, like most things in plastic surgery, there are a lot of different thoughts (and very little science) regarding massage after liposuction surgery. Therefore you should adjust specific questions to your operating surgeon.

Personally, I asked patients to massage out any “lumps or bumps” beginning  5 days after surgery for the first  6 weeks postoperatively.

Lymphatic drainage massage is very effective after tumescent liposuction.

+1

Hi.

The abdomen particularly is prone to irregularities (little collections of fluid).  Massage done between four days and twenty-one days after surgery really prevents these irregularities.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Massage and Garments after Liposuction

+1

There are no studies I am aware of that support the use of massage after liposuction. After 10+ years of performing liposuction and having seen massage versus no massage, I can see no difference in the results.

Concerning garments after liposuction, I have seen a few cases of irregularity after liposuction that I thought were caused by uneven padding under the garment during the first few days. Now, we make sure that the absorptive padding is carefully placed so the pressure applied is even.

Within 24 hours after the drainage stops (usually 2-3 days) one can stop wearing the compression garment or continue wearing it, if desired. At this point, it is just a matter of personal preference.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon