When Do Things Look Better After Neck Lipo?

I'm 39 years old and three weeks ago I had liposuction on my neck. I've worn the compression bandage as directed, yet my neck has several lumps and bumps. My skin is gathered and a little crepe-y looking. I seem to have a double chin growing back but only on the right side. Plus, the surgeon says he bruised the mandibular nerve which has left me with a crooked smile and a lot of pain. A lot. I know results take time. I just feel that something is not right and I'm getting frustrated.

Neck liposuction issues

+2

Sorry that you are having so many issues. Usually liposuction of the neck is fairly straight forward, however these things can happen. the nerve issue usually gets better within 6-8 weeks.  The firmness or lumps usually settles out after a few months. Follow closely with your doctor.

Neck liposuction and nerve damage

+2

Neck liposuction is by far one of the most gratifying procedures I do in my practice. I have not had a nerve damage (YET) but it is a complication/adverse effect that can happen with neck liposuction. it resolves in most cases in 3-6 months. if your bumps persist after 6 months u might need a revision to fix those bumps.

Misbah Khan, MD

Irregular contours after neck liposuction

+2

The type of irregularity and nerve damage you describe are uncommon.  At this point all you can do is wait and see what happens over the next few months.  I would suggest aggressive massage of the area that was treated.  Use moisturizers, and try taking Vitamin B6 (100 mg twice a day) to promote nerve recovery.

You may need a revision if the contours do not settle by three months.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Neck Liposuction and Lumps and Bumps and Nerve Problems

+1

The nerve should come back in a few more weeks or months.  The lumps and bumps typically improve as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction of neck results are seen in a few days.

+1

Hi.

I would not worry about the temporary nerve damage, but your contour does not sound right.  You might have a seroma (collection of fluid).  Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)