When Do Things Look Better After Neck Lipo?

I'm 39 years old and three weeks ago I had liposuction on my neck. I've worn the compression bandage as directed, yet my neck has several lumps and bumps. My skin is gathered and a little crepe-y looking. I seem to have a double chin growing back but only on the right side. Plus, the surgeon says he bruised the mandibular nerve which has left me with a crooked smile and a lot of pain. A lot. I know results take time. I just feel that something is not right and I'm getting frustrated.

Neck liposuction issues

Sorry that you are having so many issues. Usually liposuction of the neck is fairly straight forward, however these things can happen. the nerve issue usually gets better within 6-8 weeks.  The firmness or lumps usually settles out after a few months. Follow closely with your doctor.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Neck liposuction and nerve damage

Neck liposuction is by far one of the most gratifying procedures I do in my practice. I have not had a nerve damage (YET) but it is a complication/adverse effect that can happen with neck liposuction. it resolves in most cases in 3-6 months. if your bumps persist after 6 months u might need a revision to fix those bumps.

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

345 East 37th Street
New York, NY 10016

Irregular contours after neck liposuction

The type of irregularity and nerve damage you describe are uncommon.  At this point all you can do is wait and see what happens over the next few months.  I would suggest aggressive massage of the area that was treated.  Use moisturizers, and try taking Vitamin B6 (100 mg twice a day) to promote nerve recovery.

You may need a revision if the contours do not settle by three months.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

1208 East Kennedy Blvd
Tampa, FL 33602

Neck Liposuction and Lumps and Bumps and Nerve Problems

The nerve should come back in a few more weeks or months.  The lumps and bumps typically improve as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Liposuction of neck results are seen in a few days.

I would not worry about the temporary nerve damage, but your contour does not sound right.  You might have a seroma (collection of fluid).  Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075