When is Acne Surgery the Best Solution to Treat Acne?

I have tried almost everything to get rid of my severe acne, but nothing seems to work in the long-term, so I am starting to think I need to consider a more drastic solution. When is surgery an appropriate and effective acne treatment?

Effective acne treatment

+2

One should work with an experienced board-certified dermatologist to review comprehensive approach to treat active acne, prevent acne scarring and to treat existing acne scarring. Acne is a multifactorial skin condition, e.g. genetic predisposition, hormonal trigger, stress, thus requiring a multi-pronged approach. There are topical and oral prescription medications available to minimize cystic acne lesions, suppress hormonal trigger, and achieve more even tone. Scar revision may be considered with combination of punch excision of ice-pick scars followed by Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing once the acne is relatively quiescent

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Solutions for Acne

+1
There are many treatments and solution for acne.  The cause of acne may be hormonal, infectious, or genetic.  The range of treatments vary from acne surgery to chemical peels, and antibiotics and retinoids to Accutane.  For the best treatment a thorough work-up is needed to review the causes and determine the most appropriate treatment.  Please find a board certified dermatologist for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Acne Scarring Treatments

+1
Presently, there are no topical home remedies to remove acne scarring. Acne scarring can be improved by laser resurfacing , surgical dermabrasion and fractional radio-frequency treatments. It is recommended to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Acne Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. The last solution to treat acne is Accutane, a form of Vitamin A. Accutane is used to treat severe nodular acne. It is usually recommended after traditional therapy has failed. I would recommend consulting a Board Certified Dermatologist for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Acne Surgery

+1
For the most persistent and problematic acne you may require acne removal surgery. Acne removal surgery can be many different things. Acne laser surgery is able to address acne at its root and correct overactive sebaceous glands which are creating a breeding ground for acne on your skin. Acne scar removal surgery uses lasers to resurface the skin to help eliminate the affects of acne scarring. Acne removal surgery can also mean the surgical draining and removing of the most persistent and painful nodules. It is important that you seek out a top board-certified dermatologist in your area to determine the best course of action regarding your acne. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Acne Surgery Just One Part of Treating Acne

+1

Acne surgery alone is not the best solution to treat acne, rather it is one option of many.  Acne surgery isn't even appropriate for all types of acne. Acne typically necessitates medical treatments such as over-the-counter and presciption topical medicines and/or prescription oral medications.  Acne surgery is typically considered "adjuvant" therapy and will be more effective if used in addition with a medical acne regimen. There are also office-based treatments such as Isolaz, Silkpeel Dermalinfusion or chemical peeling that can be helpful in treating acne. Everybody's skin is different and every acne case is different requiring a different regimen. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Acne Surgery is just one piece of the puzzle

+1

Acne is a condition where many different treatments can be used.  Topical and oral antibiotics, retinoid creams, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic and glycolic acids, birth control pills, and laser treatments may be utilized in a treatment regimen.  Accutane is usually reserved for more severe cystic acne that doesn't respond to the above treatments.  Acne surgery is a good option as part of the regimen for open and closed blackheads, but it is not used as a single treatment.  A board certified dermatologist can tailor a good regimen for your specific acne type. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

Acne Surgery for Acne

+1

Acne surgery may help to prevent the development of some acne lesions, but it should never be the sole or primary form of treatment for acne. Acne surgery basically opens and removes closed and open comedones, and therefore, may help to prevent the development of more inflammatory lesions, e.g. papules and pustules (basically "pimples"). Another treatment should be the primary form of treatment, whether that would be an oral antibiotic or oral retinoid or other product. Consult with a board-certified dermatologist to get an idea about what would work well for you.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Surgery as treatment for acne?? Not.

+1

I agree with the other doctors here who expressed the belief that severe acne warrants medical therapy. Accutane is best for this but not everyone can take this drug.

The non medical treatments for severe acne that I use include laser light (Nlite) which helps with depressed but not ice pick scars. The PDT treatment is useful for some skin types.

Except for accutane, all of the medical treatments are going to be temporary...IE they work while you take them.  Severe cystic acne is a chronic condition that may not improve with your age. Spironolactone, a drug usually used for hypertension, has also been used successfully in severe cystic acne when patients are not candidates for accutane.

I hope this helps you. Don't give up!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologist

Acne is a chronic disease. Acne surgery is not an excision or scar treatment

+1

Having severe acne is frustrating. It's important to understand that it is chronic disease. With everything other than Accutane, which sometimes cures it, we are just managing the acne. You really should consult with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss your options. As for acne surgery, it is not a drastic choice. Acne surgery is a procedure by which comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) are extracted or cysts are punctured and drained. It is means of getting rid of lesions fast. It can prevent scaring. It can help medication work faster. Acne surgery, however, does not cure acne. Unless it is part of a plan that includes medical management, the lesions will likely return. It is also important to understand that acne surgery is not the treatment of acne scars. It is a treatment of active acne lesions.

Dina D. Strachan, MD