What to Ask when Getting a 2nd Opinion on Rhinoplasty? Unhappy With My Results.

I had a rhinoplasty a few months ago, but don't completely like the results and thus want to get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon. What specific questions would be ideal to ask, in order to know if my original surgeon actually did a good job or was mediocre? What should I base my decision upon when choosing my revision surgeon?

Rhinoplasty revision

+3

My suggestion is to let the surgeon speak first but have clearly in mind what your goals are.  Move forward with a surgeon that shares your vision.  A surgeon that identifies the same issues that are bothering you is more likely to deliver the results that you are after.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

+3

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, if you want second opinions regarding your previous Rhinoplasty:

1. Select 2 or 3 well known and respected Rhinoplasty surgeons and pay for yopur consultation.  That way you're paying for the Rhinoplasty surgeons time and not being sold on further surgery.
  2. Bring pictures of your nose before the surgery as well as the operative report fromm your Rhinoplasty.
  3. tell the Rhinoplasty Surgeon(s) what you don't like about your nose and then listen to their advice. Sometimes what patients want is not attainable, so don't be surprised if that's the outcoome.  Either way, you'll get closer on the issue.
  4. Not all plastic and cosmetic surgeons think and do the same thing, so don't be surprised if you get different opinions...just ask for an explanation to back up that opinion.  Everything should make sense to you, IMO, or go somewhere else.
  5. Do not be in a hurry to have another Rhinoplasty until and only if the benefits outweigh the aesthetic risks.  Do not chase perfection as it is not attainable through Rhinoplasty

What to Ask

+2

Be very specific with what your goals were, what you like, and what you do not like regarding the result. Be sure to bring your before photo's. We always ask patients to bring photo's of what they would like to look like after the procedure as this puts us both on the same page. Sometimes patient's expectations are not realistic and this is a way of discussing what can and can not be accomplished. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Second opinion for rhinoplasty

+2

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your result. I would wait a year to allow for complete healing so that you can make an objective assessment of what you don't like. Make a list and then see a surgeon who has revision experience for a consult. The second surgeon usually will not be able to comment on what was done before even with records available since he/she did not directly see and manipulate your tissue. The second surgeon should be able to discuss with you the problems you see, point out other areas that you may not be aware of and discuss steps for an operative plan. Computer imaging should be a part of this to help the doctor be certain of what you are looking for, but definitely should be conservative and not oversell the ability to deliver when dealing with a revision case. Make certain you are comfortable with the surgeon's aestheitc and plan for you as well as be honest with yourself about realistic expectations before going ahead with a second surgery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Answer to RealSelf.com Rhinoplasty revision question

+2

It takes up to a year for complete resolution of the swelling and settling of the soft tissues to see the final result from your rhinoplasty.  It is not clear from your question what specifically is bothering you; photographs would also be helpful.  If there is a significant issue you can consider obtaining a second opinion, although the surgeon is unlikely to proceed with any revision at this early date.  I would encourage you to be patient.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

It might be too early to worry...

+2

If you have only had a few months recovery, then you may not actually be looking at the final result for your nose. When I have to evaluate complaints from patients, I always recommend waiting one year to see final results.  Unfortunately, you have not mentioned what bothers you regarding your nose.  Could you possibly repost with more details and maybe some pictures?

Thanks,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon