What's the Best Way to Get Healthy Skin?

I know there are so many ways that can cause skin problems and premature aging. What are the most important things to avoid? What are the best ways to promote healthy skin so I can look my best as I enter my next decade of life?

I recommend a variety of nutritional supplements in...

+3

I recommend a variety of nutritional supplements in addition to the complete spectrum of vitamins and minerals recommended by nutrition experts worldwide, (B-complex, Vitamin E, Calcium-magnesium, etc.).

My research has shown that nutrients that possess antioxidant properties act as natural anti-inflammatories. This is important because antioxidants are Nature's anti-inflammatories. Designed to work synergistically to enhance the benefits of the anti-inflammatory diet, these nutrients offer anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, fat-metabolizing, and peptide-boosting benefits and help prevent and reverse oxidative damage on a cellular level, of critical importance as we age.

Active skin care product ingredients recommended include:

• Alpha Lipoic Acid
  • Vitamin C Ester
  • DMAE (Dimethyl Amino Ethanol)
  • Coenzyme Q-10
  • Conjugated Linoleic Acid
  • GLA
  • L-Carnitine Fumerate
  • N-Acetyl Carnitine
  • L-Tyrosine
  • Omega-3
  • Carnosine
  • Benfotiamine
  • Astaxanthin

Connecticut Dermatologist

Sun avoidance, sunscreen, no smoking, peels and lasers

+1
  • Sun avoidance or using sunscreen with SPF >15 when outside
  • Avoid smoking
  • If you are considering more invasive methods, then chemical peels, resurfacing lasers, and injectable soft tissue fillers may be considered. You should learn more about these by consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Jennifer L. Walden, MD

There are new anti-aging LED treatments and lasers that...

+1

There are new anti-aging LED treatments and lasers that build collagen and these are just a few of the new ways to transform dull skin into healthy, beautiful skin.

Best of all, many of these procedures can be performed during lunch (they are nicknamed “Lunchtime Lasers”) and leave no visible side effects, so patients can continue as normal with their day following treatment.

David Goldberg, MD

Stop over-exfoliating. With so many products on the...

+1

Stop over-exfoliating. With so many products on the market that have exfoliating properties like chemicals or naturally occurring assets in everything from cleansers to moisturizers, we are overdoing a good thing.

We need a good skin care system including not more than three or four products daily. Keep it simple; target your skin conditions and be consistent. If you are not sure how to get started, consult a professional aesthetician and leave the exfoliating to the professionals!

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

An ounce of prevention The first thing you should do is...

+1

An ounce of prevention

The first thing you should do is practice preventative care for your face. You can go to a gym and work out muscles, but the only thing you can do for your face is be healthy.

• Good nutrition
  • Use of daily sunblock (spf 15 daily and spf 30 when exposed to the sun)
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Consider a daily skin care regimen of a skin rejuvenator (Alpha hydroxy acids, antioxidants like Vitamin C and polypeptides)

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Healthy lifestyle, healthy diet, and the use of the...

+1

Healthy lifestyle, healthy diet, and the use of the right creams. Every person's skin type is unique. To maximize results, an important discussion I have with all of my patients is the creation of an anti-aging plan tailored specifically to your individual skin type.

We formed a skincare line to focus on the most important compounds for all skin types and formulated our compounds around scientifically-proven ingredients with verifiable results.

Look for creams that have important gentle peeling agents and anti-oxidants to smooth wrinkles. Our lines also have an additional agent called "hyaluronic acid" to plump out fine lines.

David Alessi, MD

Use good products that have been recommended to your by...

+1

Use good products that have been recommended to your by a trusted aesthetician or certified medical practitioner. Good skin care products should be loaded with vitamins—Vitamin E, A and C. You should use a good facial wash and a toner to restore the ph balance.

Always use a good moisturizer. Healthy-looking skin always requires moisture. This is general skin care regimen, I strongly advise you to see your doctor for specific recommendations of what is good for your skin type or the individual properties of your skin.

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD

Sun protection is a must all year round -- many...

+1
  • Sun protection is a must all year round – many daily moisturizers accessible now include SPF so it is easy to find.
  • Healthy skin also results from maintaining a healthy diet rich in fiber (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) and low in fat.
  • Keeping the body in shape, healthy, and glowing can also come from regular exercise 4-5 days a week for 40 – 45 minutes.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS

Sunblock and a consistent skin care regimen The most...

+1

Sunblock and a consistent skin care regimen

The most important thing for everyone to do is first to use sunblock every single day (rain or shine!) and secondly to consistently use an effective skin care regimen.

• Sunblock is the best way to prevent aging, plus it is inexpensive and takes about 30 seconds to apply. The formulations now are very sheer and non-oily and can be applied right under make-up.
  • Additionally, using an effective (preferably from a plastic surgeon or dermatologist) skin care regimen on a consistent basis will help rejuvenate the skin and help you look your best now.

Allison Pontius, MD

I wish people would protect themselves from the sun and...

+1

I wish people would protect themselves from the sun and all that that means. It's kind of been overhyped and over blown to a large degree, but it's still important. Just walking around whether I'm in the mountains or by the sea or at the park, you see that people aren't taking the right steps that they need to take to protect themselves, especially earlier on. So, with children in particular, the earlier they can do it, the better their skin is.

So it seems like we’re all looking for that magical lotion or potion, but it's really if they can start earlier the better and protect ourselves, we'll be ahead of the game. That means, not only sunscreen, but also protecting yourself with hats and clothing. It shouldn't change from the beach of CA to the streets of Seattle. It's all the same. Even though Seattle may be cloudier, even on cloudy days, you can burn. The cumulative effect of the sun leads to wrinkles and blotchy skin, red marks, all those things, and then of course, skin cancer.

Why? Well, it's like a debit card. You keep withdrawing and you're running out of money and time and it becomes harder and harder to reverse that aging process. So you should really start as early as you can with your children. And if it's too late for you, and I really believe it's never too late, certainly you can make the most headway with your children. If I'm with my family and we just got some ice cream, we find a shady spot. You can always spot the dermatologist family because they're at a spot under a tree.

Coyle Connolly, DO
Atlantic City Dermatologist