Mesotherapy to Remove Fat Pads Under Eyes

Which is the most safe and effective way to remove fat pads from lower eye lids: blepharoplasty or mesotherapy? Is mesotherapy safe to inject into the eye sacks? Is blepharoplasty more accurate than mesotherapy? I have fat pads - although not bad but noticeable. I am a 23-year-old African-American. I would like them to be removed, but if I can go the non-invasive way, I will. Thanks!

Mesotherapy is not safe or FDA approved for lids

+2

The appearance of the lids is a combination of volume and skin. Mesotherapy will not address the skin and may be dangerous for usage in this area.

Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to carefully evaluate your lids and propose solutions.

Becareful of marketing claims without adequate scientific back-up.

Steven Williams, MD

DON'T do mesotherapy!

+2

Absolutely do not allow anyone to inject a mesotherapy agent into your eyelids - or anywhere else for that matter. This procedure has not been scientifically proven to be effective OR SAFE yet so wait until that time comes.

Also at your age, I would submit that you are too young for eyelid surgery. I would suggest you look into having Restylane injected to hide the appearance of the fat. You probably actually have an empty area making it look like you have fat bags when you really don't. Filling in the hollow would be the appropriate treatment in this case.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Do NOT use mesotherapy on your eyelids!

+2

Mesotherapy is not FDA approved. The formulations that people are using are not standardized, and the results are unpredicatable. Removal of a precise amount of fat in necessary to get a good result on the lower eyelids - if too much is left, you buldge. If too much is taken, you look hollow. If you are considering doing something to your lids, see a board certified surgeon and discuss your goals. Most likely you could benefit from a controlled transconjunctival blepharoplasty.

Be safe!

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Transconjunctival lower eyelid blepharoplasty is 100%...

+2

Transconjunctival lower eyelid blepharoplasty is 100% the way to go, especially for a young person who has genetic (versus age-related) orbital fat pseudoherniation. I recommend this procedure for patients with lower eyelid 'fat bags' related to aging, as well. There are no visible scars and the results are excellent in experienced hands. While injectables are an effective means to recontour and smooth the transition between the lower eyelids and the cheek, they are temporary. Mesotherapy is not FDA-approved and has no U.S. studies to evaluate safety or efficacy; do not take a chance on this treatment around your eyes!

John M. Roesler, MD

Mesotherapy should not be used around the eyes

+1

Mesotherapy is not a standard nor safe procedure for eyelid fat pads. It is unpredictable and should not be used near the eyes.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Meso is bad for lids

+1

Transconjunctival lid surgery is great and mesotherapy does not really work in many cases. Injections like this near the eye may even cause blindness. I hope this helps, Nasim Huq

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Each lower eyelid consists of three compartments of fat...

+1

Each lower eyelid consists of three compartments of fat that is removed through a transconjunctival approach (the inside of the lower lid). The fat is teased out, and the base is cauterized to make sure it does not bleed around the eyeball. This usually does not effect a change in the shape of the eyelid.

If excess skin is then encountered on the lower lid, a pinch technique can be done to remove excess skin. This is done with a small incision made at the subciliary line right below the eyelashes (usually 2-3mm). This incision is then closed with tissue glue.

The incision on the inside of the lower lid heals on its own without any sutures or glue.