Tightening Loose Facial and Body Skin

What really works to get rid of loose skin--body and face. Is it a body lift or can laser treatment work to tighten things up again? Thx Much!

When addressing "loose skin" of the face it is important...

+5

When addressing "loose skin" of the face it is important to address the issue from both a "quantity" perspective as well as a "quality" perspective.

Lets us first discuss "quantity". As we age we lose volume in our face (primarily fat). As a result skin can hang down as gravity acts on it creating droopiness, wrinkles and bands. This can be thought of as excess skin and is similar in concept to a dress that becomes too large as its owner loses weight. Facelifts, S-lifts, mini-lifts, etc. are surgical procdures which can help remove the excess skin and address the issue of the "quantity" of skin. It is also very important that the underlying muscles/SMAS be addressed and repositioned as well during these procedures as "skin only" procedures rarely harbor worthwhile results.

Addressing the "quality" of the loose skin is also very important. Through genetics, sun exposure, smoking and the natural aging process, the inherent elasticity and tone of our skin gets worse as we age. Surgical treatments do not address the "quality" of skin. Therefore in order to improve "quality" treatments such as chemical peels, fractionated lasers, Retin-A and even intradermal Botox can be used to improve skin "quality" to a very desirable endpoint.

While an individual patient may choose to address "loose skin" of the face based on "quantity" or "quality" alone, it is best to address both factors in order to get the most satisfying and long standing results.

Always remember to clean, moisturize and protect your skin everyday!

What Really Works For Skin Tightening- Surgery is Best But There Are Other Optiions

+1

Noninvasive Skin Tightening Work! ..or Does It? Claims, Fact and Fiction

The problem with noninvasive skin tightening is that everyone wants it and everyone wants to believe it works.  The result is practitioners of all sorts capitalizing on this demand.  The truth about skin tightening interventions is that almost all of them work AND NONE OF THEM WORK.  What I mean by this is that there are many ways to convert energy into heat inside or below the skin causing contraction.  The problem is that to deliver clinically effective results the tissue needs to reach at a minimum 43 C which is uncomfortable and can be scary for the patient and the practitioner.  This often results in ineffective treatment and wasted time and money.  I have developed extensive experience with noninvasive technologies mot because I'm a fan but because my patients demand it.  After using several "best in class" technologies to deliver definitive results, my patients were relatively pleased but I was underwhelmed.  THis is why I started using  a treatment that we call Maerckks Multimodal Therapy(MMT) in my practice.  All this is is an intelligently designed multitechnology treatment customized for the individual patient.  I use multiple diffferent frequencies and administration systems for radiofrequency delivery, three different ultrasound frequencies, infrared pulsed light, two different laser systems in concert to deliver immediate significant results that are hard to argue with and continue improving for weeks.  I think the only way to get real results is to combine technologies under the direction of a plastic surgeon that understands the capabilities and limitations of noninvasive skin tightening.  No one technology really delivers anything significant.  Also realiize that even my MMT results that I am very proud of do not remotely compare to what I can achieve with surgery and the cost can approach or exceed that of surgery depending on location and individual patient findings

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Tightening of the Skin

+1

Thank you for your question. I would suggest Ultherapy for facial skin tightening. Ultherapy deposits focused ultrasound energy below the surface of the skin to stimulate the body’s creation of new collagen. As a result, skin will actually begin to lift and tone over time. Collagen is a natural protein that gives skin its youthfulness by keeping it firmed, toned and elastic. Plus, the treatment is completely non-invasive and does not require downtime. I have seen excellent results with the treatment. Depending on the looseness of skin on the body, there are a variety of treatments available. I would consult with a surgeon in person to determine the best course of action.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Loose skin

+1

Your skin is complex and tightening of skin is based on your skin quality, elasticity, genetics, diet and the care (ie suncreen to prevent sun damage) you have exhibited. There are no easy answers but there are temporary solutions (non-surgical) and more lasting surgical solutions that can be presented to you by a plastic surgeon once your skin is evaluated.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tightening loose facial and body skin is best done through surgery

+1

Tightening loose facial and body skin is best done through surgery. You’re not going to get a lot of lift from a laser treatment.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

The best way to tighten loose skin is through a...

+1

The best way to tighten loose skin is through a comprehensive face/neck lift.

Loose facial skin will also have loose fascial attachments and muscles of the face, specifically in the neck and jowl area. Therefore the skin and its underlying structures must be tightened to achieve long-lasting results.

Tightening the skin alone can leave the patient with a pulled, tightened, and wind tunneled look.