What's the Best Way to Deal with Facial Wrinkles?

What specific treatments are available for facial wrinkles?  Which wrinkle treatments are worth it, which one's are not?  

Facial wrinkle treatment options

+3

This is a big topic, so let's break the options down, from least invasive to most invasive.

One of the fundamentals of all facial rejuvenation is a good skincare regimen, including moisturizers, sunblocks, and usually Retin-A and/or agents to even skin tone. There are multiple options available, but I recommend products which are medical grade, such as Obagi or Nia-24. The skin care will usually improve fine lines, but will more importantly improve the long-term quality of the skin as well as make any subsequent procedure more effective.

The next package of options include the minimally invasive procedures, including Botox Cosmetic for wrinkles due to muscle animation (lines between the eyes, crow's feet or forehead lines), dermal fillers like Juvederm or Restylane for lines due to lack of elasticity of the skin and soft tissues (like nasolabial folds), and laser treatments to tighten skin, even out skin tone, and eliminate small blood vessels or capillaries.

The final set of interventions include surgeries to give long-term improvement to facial wrinkles, such as brow lifts, facelifts, and eyelid surgery.

The key is to spend some time with your surgeon discussing which one of these options fits your needs, and put together a plan to meet your goals and fit into your specific lifestyle.

Facial wrinkle solutions

+2

The best way to treat facial wrinkles depends on where they are located.

• Forehead wrinkles are best treated with Botox to decrease the frowning effect or crow’s feet effect.
  • Wrinkles in the upper and lower lips are best treated with dermabrasion for a smoothing effect.
  • Facial wrinkles in the cheek and neck area are best treated with a comprehensive face- and neck lift.

I think for most patients, a combination of techniques...

+2

I think for most patients, a combination of techniques is most effective.

In my practice, I will start someone on a skin care regimen to prepare the face for resurfacing. Once the skin is ready, Botox is used on the forehead and around the eyes to smooth the skin. This is followed by Active FX fractional carbon dioxide laser resurfacing. This new technology allows for fairly striking improvement in tone, tightness, and texture of the skin with a social downtime of roughly 6-7 days. It can be performed in the office using oral sedation and topical anesthesia. The results are not on par with surgery, but will help most patients.

If you have generalized sagging of different areas of the face, then surgical lifting procedures would be recommended. In an ideal world, all my patients would have their surgical procedures performed first, followed by resurfacing to improve the skin itself.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Treatments for Facial Wrinkles

+1

There are several treatments available currently on the market for wrinkles and fine lines. The effective procedures involve injections containing hyaluronic acid for natural volume and firming; Botox, Laser resurfacing to promote collagen; vitamins A and C applied topically.

Frank Lista, MD

Wrinkles, botox, lasers, erbium

+1

On average liquid facelift procedures such as fillers can last between 3 to upto 2yrs.  There is no permanentt solution for wrinkles. These procedures will decrease/minimize the wrinkles for a particular period. Laser procedures such as pixel, erbium, fraxel or co2 resurfacing can provide much longer lasting results, however, they are associated with more cost and downtime, unlike a facelift there are no scars from these laser treatments.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon