What's the Best Daily Skin Care Regimen?

I need advice for facial skin care. Please recommend daily skin care steps that promote great skin tone.

The best skin care regimen is twofold: There should be a...

+5

The best skin care regimen is twofold: There should be a good at-home skin care regimen and there should be a skin care program in place outside the home and supervised by skin care professionals at a medical spa.

1. The regimen at home consists of using a high quality facial wash, a toner, exfoliant and a moisturizer. It is extremely important to use a sunscreen every time you step outdoors.
  2. In the medical spa, skin care begins with regular microdermabrasian and perhaps glycolic peel treatments. Great looking skin is enhanced with non-invasive procedures such as Botox and cosmetic fillers. It is so important to take care of your skin every day.

I would like to see all of my clients taking really good care of their skin by developing a skin care regimen. It must be an ongoing, daily routine. Wrinkle prevention and sun care protection begins by having a great regimen in place.

Skin Care Essentials

+4

The best skin care regimen is one based on sound principles and includes effective products.  I am a strong believer in simple.  I don't like many steps and products.  With this in mind, my practice has narrowed down the spectrum to our essentials.  They are a physical sunblock, a retinoid and an anti-oxidant. 

The way we determined this combination was by reviewing the literature on skin care and identifying the products that gave the maximal benefit for the least expense.  In other words, we wanted to find the skin care regimen that gave our clients the most value and benefit for their money.  You will notice that we don't have a wash, exfoliant, toner, eye creme, moisturizer etc, etc.  The reason is that they are not essential.  Start with the basics, the products that will give you the maximal benefits and then add specialized products to address specific problems that you might have.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Daily Skin Care Regimen

+3

The good news is that you do not have to spend enormous amounts of money to have beautiful skin.  I recommend 3-4 basic steps regardless of your skin type.  The first is to cleanse your skin morning and night followed by exfoliation with Retin-A and/or an acid based product such as Glycolic acid 15%-20%. 

If you are prone to Rosacea then you will want to avoid the areas of breakout but you can use these products on the rest of your face and neck.  These products should be pharmaceutical grade meaning you should only be able to purchase them from a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Anything that you can buy over-the counter (i.e, retail store) is not going to be as effective.

The next step is to apply a moisturizer morning and night and in the morning the final step is to finish by applying a sunscreen with a minimum 30 SPF. If you follow this regimen you will start to have skin that is more toned and beautiful.

Once you achieve improved skin tone and texture then you should consider following up with a series of physician strength Glycolic peels to further enhance your skin.  These peels can be done 2-3 weeks apart and can be repeated 2-3 times a year.  You can have the peel one afternoon and return to work the next day.  Your skin will look fresher and have a more natural glow.

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin care by skin type

+3

I recommend specific regimens based on the patient’s skin color (fair, mid or dark), texture (thin or thick), sensitivity (easily irritated or not) and other medical issues such as rosacea, eczema or psoriasis.

For most people, I recommend cleansing morning and evening, application of antioxidants following this, application of sun protection in the morning and of moisturizers and repair ingredients in the evening.

In addition, I would add retinol or a retinoid product a few times per week and I also like to have my patients exfoliate with a home microdermabrasion system that I use.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin Care Must Haves

+1

I get this question asked frequently in my practice.  To make it simple and easy we developed what I like to call the "Skin Care Must Haves".  It's a few products that will can make significant improvements to your skin long term.  #1 - first and foremost I recommend to all my patients Growth Factors for their skin.  Growth Factors help to regenerate collagen growth to strengthen elasticity, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and create a beautiful glow.  Not all Growth Factor products are created equal, so it is important to do your research and use a high quality product.  I recommend SkinMedica's TNS line of growth factor products, but be sure to consult your skin care practitioner for recomendations.  #2 - Vitamin C helps to naturally protect the skin from photoaging within the dermis, promotes healing, and is an essential component to your body's production of collagen.  Again, quality is key and there are many good Vitamin C products available.  I recommend SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic or Phloretin CF.  #3 - Retinol reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.  Many retinols can be irritating to the skin or cause visible peeling so it is important to find the right retinol for your skin type.  Consult your skin care practitioner for guidance.  #4 - Sunscreen is essential to protect the skin against damaging UV rays and EVERYONE should use a broad spectrum sunscreen that spans the full UVA/UVB spectrum.  Look for paraben-free, high SPF sunscreens.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

The best skin care regimen

+1

This all depends on your skin type, whether sensitive and dry, or oily and acne prone. Also it depends upon your age, and climate. Generally your skin becomes drier as you age, and this is worse in a cold or dry climate. Gently face washing twice daily, with a light moisturizer afterwards works well for most people.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist