Xeomin vs. Botox - Which is Better?

a doctor here mentioned that a new injection would be available called "Xeomin". Not sure how you say that! What it appears to be is another form of Botox.  Can you help clairfy what's xeomin?

Time will tell

+5

I've asked myself the same question. I am still not ready to recommend Xeomin use to my patients for a few reasons. I should also point out that I am in the process of completing a very large study comparing Botox, Dysport and Xeomin using only the highest quality research (a meta-analysis). Here is a link to the study I am doing.  You can search online for A comparative assessment of three formulations of botulinum toxin A for facial rhytides: a systematic review and meta-analyses to read the project we are working on. 

Like all businesses, there is a lot of marketing. Xeomin's claims to fame are #1 you dont need to refrigerate it and #2 there is less risk of allergies. After reviewing over 20,000 patients in a number of randomized studies, there are no reports of allergies with botox. Yes, there are reports of this happening in other series but it is extremely rare thus I dont believe that Xeomin offers any advantage in this regard. At this point, there is absolutely no evidence one is better than the other. Its just marketing based on "theory."

Also, Botox is such a popular brand now, people ask for it by name. I think many people are nervous about trying a product that has been on the market for a few years versus one that has been around over 15 years. I tend to use Botox cause I know it works, its safe and people are happy with the results.

Also, there is evidence that Xeomin may not last as long as Botox. Now, this is controversial but hopefully the study I am doing will answer this question. At this  time, there is no reason to believe one lasts longer than the other, however....time will tell.

Finally, one of the "benefits" of Xeomin is that it is considered a more purified version of the active component of the toxin. Basically, botulinum toxin contains an active component (the part that results in the key effect) and some other proteins. Xeomin removed these proteins and thus the notion that there is less of a risk of allergy as some believe the allergy risk is associated with these proteins. However, there is another side to the story. Some people suggest that these proteins are important for making the medication work better, thus some believe this is the reason why Botox may last longer, it keeps some of these "extra" proteins that may have a role in improving its effect.

Wheww...Long winded I know, but its a complicated topic and one I find interesting.

I think I'll end by saying, I dont know what the right answer is, it may turn out there is no difference between products. But as a physician, my goal is to treat people with a medication that I believe is the safest and most effective available. At this point, Botox is that product. Perhaps my opinion will change once more evidence is out there, but for now, I continue to recommend Botox.

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Xeomin is an FDA-approved alternative to Botox for glabellar wrinkles

+5

Xeomin and Botox work the same way to paralyze muscles and smooth wrinkles. They share the identical active ingredient - botulinum toxin A. The difference is that Botox has an accompanying protein, but xeomin is naked. In the skin, all of the protein detaches from Botox within 1 minute of injection so there is no reason why the effect of xeomin should differ from Botox. Xeomin has proven effective in clinical trials. It is approved in Europe and the US to diminish glabellar (between the eyebrow) wrinkles. I have had good results with it.

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Xeomin is similar to Botox and possibly cheaper to the patient.

+3

Xeomin is another Botulinum toxin A like Botox and Dysport with a very similar safety profile and effectiveness. I have used all three and find that each works very effectively when used to reduce wrinkles and shape your brow position. Hope this helps..Laurie A. Casas,MD

Laurie Casas, MD

Xeomin Vs. Botox

+3

Xeomin is another neurotoxin - it is in the same category as Botox and Dysport.  It has been used in Europe for many years.  It has less proteins then Botox, possibly making it less stable and possibly reducing the chance of resistance.  We have been using it in our office for a while and have had results consistant of Botox so far - however the cost to the consumer is cheaper with Xeomin as it stands now.   

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Xeomin - Great For Patients

+3

Xeomin is finally approved here in the United States and offers several major advantages.  

• Xeomin does not have any additives, i.e. is a naked botulinium toxin, it has less risk of antibody formation.  This has the theoretic advantage of patients less likely to develop resistance to Xeomin.
  • Xeomin does not have to be refrigerated
  • Xeomin works essentially the same as Botox.  Same duration, amount of time, dosing, etc.  This familiarity makes it a much easier product for physicians and patients to adopt to.
  • Xeomin will drive the overall price of botox down.
  • Has been used in Germany for more than 3 years but product is very similar to Botox.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Xeomin is similar to Botox, but not the same

+3

Xeomin is a substance similar to Botox (r).  However it has less protecting proteins around the actual active molecule than Botox. There have been some concerns about the stability and spreading of Xeomin. It has been in use in Germany for some years.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Xeomin VS Botox VS Dysport

+3

Botox, Dysport and Xeomin are commercial formulations of Toxin type A produced by the Clostridium Botulinum bacteria. Botox is produced by Allergan.

Xeomin, produced by Merz Pharma, has been used in Europe since 2008 AND has become available in the US in Nov 2011. It IS being used in Austria, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, UK, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Argentina and Mexico.

The company claims that 1 unit of Xeomin is equivalent to 1 unit of Botox. The SUPPOSED advantage, yet to be proven of Xeomin over Botox is that by removing complexing proteins higher doses, as are needed in spastic disorders care, can be given without resulting in antibody formation. With the doses used for facial cosmesis this is not a major concern in my opinion.

I have used ALL these toxins and so far the Xeomin proved equal to Botox at a cheaper price.

Dr. P Aldea

Xeomin versus Botox

+2
The fact that you see a multitude of different opinions about these two products means that there isn't a clear answer or a clear winner amongst the two. You will see arguments about the purity and decreased number of proteins we can possibly react to with Xeomin, and right next to it you will see arguments for a longer duration and more proven track record with Botox. This is the battle of big industry. In time we may find that there is no difference, and if there is one it will likely be subtle. 

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Xeomin vs Botox and Dysport - more similar than different

+2
Dysport, Xeomin and Botox are all preparations of botulinum toxin A derived protein that works at the nerve-muscle interface to relax targeted muscles. Each preparation is slightly different, for example the protein size differs. Dysport and Xeomin have been around in Europe for a long time and more recently introduced in the USA. Note the dosage is not the same between the drugs though each works well in my experience.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Botox Alternative

+1

I have many patients that have tried both since both of them work the same. Xeomin is great for those that want to see the results set in faster. Often patients who consistently use Botox on a regular basis will switch back and forth between these two products.

Kristin J. Tarbet, MD
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon