Different Doctors Have Suggested Benelli or Full Anchor Lift, Which Would be Best? (photo)

I have consulted with two board certified plastic surgeons in regards to having full abdominoplasty and breast lift. One surgeon said all I would need is a Benelli lift, the other said I need a full "anchor" lift. Why is there such a discrepancy? And why not a lollipop? After having 6 kids,and breastfeeding all of them, I just want my breasts to be back where they once were, and to stay in my bra when I lean over!! All of this just seems to get more confusing... Please help!

Benelli vs. Anchor lift?

+3

It is difficult to tell for sure where your nipple is in relation to your inframammary crease from your photos without examining you, and this would determine how far the nipple has to move upward and how much overhang you have of breast tissue below the level of the crease.  The Benelli is a limited lift, and I use it in patients who need a mild degree of lift.  Also, it does not shape the breast very well; a flat breast remains a flat breast that is a little higher. Therefore, I usually only use it with an implant, which is what shapes the breast and provides better projection.  When performed with an implant augmentation, the Benelli just brings the nipple up a bit and reduces the overhang. If a patient wants to avoid an implant, I think the Benelli lift would produce disappointing results.  Adding a vertical scar gives a much stronger lift, and a better shaping lift. If I am not using an implant, I think the patient needs a vertical scar, that is, at least a "lollipop" lift (scar around the areola and a vertical scar), and, if there is excessive overhang, then I would move to an anchor lift.  There is some disagreement among plastic surgeons as to the benefits of an anchor lift as opposed to a vertical lift (essentially a big, long "lollipop") in these cases of more severe breast sagging.  In summary, you do not mention an implant, and if you are not going to use an implant, avoid the Benelli and accept at least a "lollipop" or an anchor in order to achieve proper shaping of your breast.

There's more to the breast lift than just the scar

+3

I agree with the surgeons who have suggested you would do well with a vertical ("lollipop") type of lift. The advantage of this technique is what the surgeon can do beneath the skin to improve the shape of your breast. The loose lower part of your breast can be tightened internally and sometimes we will use some of the lower tissue to move higher in the breast, essentially using your own tissue to create the effect of a small implant.  Typically the scars heal  well. The Benelli lift is a reasonable choice if you need a very small amount of lift (1 or 2 cm) and particularly if you are having an implant placed at the same time. Good luck.

Nicholas Carr, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Customize Your Breast Lift Depending On The Results You Want

+3

Breasts with minimal to moderate ptosis often can be treated with several different types of breast lift, depending on what you want your results to be. If you are happy with a conservative amount of lifting that will leave you with a natural but still not extremely perky result, a well done Benelli lift will give you a good result. Since the Benelli lift is not an extremely powerful one, I commonly use an implant to help fill out the breast volume and lift the breasts. If you want a very perky appearing result, a vertical mastopexy with the lollipop incision would be more appropriate.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Tecniques are individualized

+3

Well you are kind to provide a photo, we can give much more thorough answers when we see the actual problem. No mention of an Augmentation was discussed so we shall assume that is out of the equation. Leaving the remaing option as a lift, I would prefer the Lollipop technique. It controls the shape of the areola better, yes it does have a vertical component but I have never really had a patient get overly bothered by that aspect of the scar. Over the years many Benelli(periareolar) patients have been revised to other types of lifts. Good Luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Vertical lollipop scar breast lift will work great for you without implants.

+3

Hi.

1)  There sure are a lot of different opinions, and I don't know how you sort them out.  Our experience is that for your anatomy, and since you are not getting implants, the lollipop breast lift gives the best long term results.  That is because it does not rely on pulling the skin, which stretches.

2)  If you wanted implants, then I would recommend the Benelli.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

What type of breast lift is the best?

+3

Dear mother of six,

Well, you have hit upon a subject about which there is perhaps the most disagreement in plastic surgery.  You say your goal is to have your breasts back to where they were before pregnancy and breast feeding.  If you want to avoid implants, then you will need a procedure that reshapes the breast, which the Benelli proceedure does. The rub against pure lifts without implants is that they don't last very long in terms of giving upper pole fullness.  If you can accept implants, then I think the Benelli lift with implants will be an excellent choice.  I agree with the majority opinion that you don't need a full anchor lift, with or without implants.  If you are definitely opposed to having implants, then either a Benelli approach or a "lollipop" approach with internal shaping would be my next choice.  You probably need at least one more opinion.  Good luck

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Benelli

+3
several people suggested implants but that does not seem to be your direction. I personally am a big benelli fan and you are ideal for it. not all surgeons love it so find someone who is enthusiastic about this operation.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation now and possible lift later if need

+3

You have lost a lot of the breast volume. Your nipple position is in good position in relation to the inframammary fold. I would recommend silicone or saline high profile implant to replace the lost volume.The concern with lift is the scar and the complications with combined procedure. If you are willing to be large c cup,implant only  would be the best option. You may need breast lift down the road and the staged procedure will give you better result with less risk.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Benelli vs anchor lift

+3

The Benelli or periareolar lift is almost always done with an implant and so if you are having an implant with your MM to add some lost volume, I would say from the photo that a periareolar would be fine.  If no implant is being used, you probably need more of a lift than a periareolar.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Lift

+3

As you can see from the responses below, they are similar to what you have heard from your consultations.  If you do not want implants, I believe you will have a better result with a circumvertical or lollipop lift than with a periareolar lift, which in my opinion does a better job of raising the nipple position, but not a great job of lifting the breast.  If you desire to have larger breast, you might possibly only need an implant, but you may sag later and need a lift, but at least you would get to see what your breast looked like before deciding.

Donald Griffin, MD