What Are VelaShape Side Effects?

any risks from getting the velashape cellulite treatment?

VelaShape side effects are limited and short term

The most common side effect is bruising and it only lasts for a few days. There is a chance for scabbing or blistering and it usually occurs for people with very loose skin. That isn't very common and it can be prevented by lowering the level of the energy delivered to the skin. The redness and swelling after the treatment is normal and it usually lasts for a couple of hours.

Few to No Side Effects with VelaShape

The most common side effects of Velashape include bruising, redness and some residual heat/swelling due to the infrared light. More severe side effects that are less common include blisters and scabbing. The more severe side effects are more common in those with loose skin but  is easily treatable and you do not need to stop the treatment.

Velashape side effects

Potential side effects from velashape treatment include bruising, mild redness on the skin and the rare cases of skin crusting from the electrodes hitting the skin.

Lori A. Brightman, MD

Side Effects of Velashape 3

The most common side effects of Velashape include bruising, redness and some residual heat/swelling due to the infrared light.   

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

VelaShape Side Effects

Probably the most concerning risk from getting a VelaShape III treatment, since it is such a powerful machine with 150 Watts, is the risk of a superficial burn if there is not good contact and any “arc” of energy.Most superficial burns are treated with local antibiotic ointment and resolve in a timely fashion without serious sequelae.Other side effects include potential local bruising, swelling, soreness and discomfort- all of these side-effects are temporary.

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze Best for Cellulite Reduction

Thank you for your question. I would not suggest Velashape for cellulite. Instead, I would suggest Cellulaze to reduce your cellulite. Cellulaze is the only minimally invasive laser procedure designed to attack the structure of cellulite beneath your skin. Cellulaze is backed by many years of clinical research. Studies have shown it increases the thickness of your skin by 25% and the elasticity of your skin by 29%—significant claims that haven't been made by any other treatments. Thicker and more elastic skin can help flatten and smooth the skin surface to improve the appearance of cellulite. In addition, 93% of patients surveyed were satisfied or very satisfied with their results at one year post their procedure, and all would recommend the Cellulaze cellulite laser treatment to a friend.

VelaShape Side Effects

The side effects for any laser treatment is crusting, blistering and burning.  And if you get a burn, there's a chance of infection which can lead to scarring.  The side effects that we see with VelaShape are very minimal if any and most are superficial and temporary in nature.  We find the Velashape to be very safe and as with anything, having your treatment done by experienced providers will minimize your risk.  Hope this helps and feel free to contact me at my office if you have any additional questions!

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon