What Are the Side Effects of Vaginoplasty?

I had a vaginoplsty 7 yrs ago and I have a hard time to get pregnant. What should I do? Do you think vaginoplasty is the reason. I have a daughter before I went to procedure but after this conceiving is very hard.

Pls. help what should I do? Thanks

There are very few side effects from vaginoplasty.  However, the benefits are immense.  It has restored a normal and beyond normal sex life to many of our patients.

Unlikly to affect fertility.

It is very unlikely for a vaginoplasty (tightening of the vagina entrance) to affect your fertility. You should see a fertility expert about your inability to conceive.

Kari L. Colen, MD

Vaginoplasty should not effect fertility

In and of itself the vaginoplasty should not have a direct effect on fertility unless there is such sufficient scarring as to prevent sperm reaching the ovum.

You may want to discuss this with your gynecologist and or reproductive endocrinologist.

Vaginal tightening and difficulty conceiving

I am so sorry to hear that you are having difficulty conceiving. That can be so stressful and I hope that by the time you read this answer, you have been successful in becoming pregnant. I don't think the vaginal tightening is the reason. But I do think an infertility expert may be able to assist you on your journey. Best of luck!!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Vaginoplasty has no effect on fertility.

2 out of 5 infertility couples have a sperm problem. The remainder are due to female issues with releasing good eggs, blocked tubes or medical conditions that interfere with the pregnancy process. In many cases, tests are unable to offer an explanation. Fertility also declines with age. However, tightening the vagina is not something that interferes with fertility.