What Should I Try Now?

I am a 30 year old female that has been batteling acne since the birth of my daughter 10 years ago. I have spent thousands of $ on dermatologists.. antibiotics, topical, lasers, microderm, I am currently using a cleanser that contains glycolic & salisaylic acids, seems to be the best so far, but still isnt where I would like it to be. I have had 21 glycolic peels (professionally) and just orderd the peel RX glycolic to use at home, I stumbled across Alpha Bright products, good?? Bad??

Stubborn acne

+2

You should have your hormone levels checked by your doctor to see if there is an imbalance that is causing your acne.  If the hormone levels are normal, you may be a candidate for Accutane.

Toronto Dermatologist

Perhaps it's time to try Accutane

+2

It you've been treating your acne without much satisfaction, for 10 years, you might want to think about trying Accutane (isotretinoin).  Accutane is the only medication that may potentially cure acne.  If you take it, be sure to take it with food as this may significantly affect absorption and outcome.

Web reference: http://www.aglowdermatology.com

Acne for 10 Years

+1

If you have tried antibiotics, topical prescription medications, laser treatments, microdermabrasion, and chemical peels, it may be time to have a long discussion with your dermatologists about what treatment options are best for you at this point.  Depending on which laser treatments you have had, you may consider trying Photodynamic Therapy or the Isolaz laser treatment; both of these treatments have been shown to be very effective for acne.  You should also discuss the potential for a hormonal influence with your dermatologst; women in their 30's often experience an increased influence of the androgen hormone, which can lead to persistent acne if not addressed properly.  Lastly, if you have already explored these two options, it may be time to consider isotretinoin (Accutane), but this should be discussed at length with your dermatologist.

Web reference: http://www.clearclinic.com/accutane/

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.