Tummy Tuck - What Should I Do if I Look Bloated and Fat After Tummy Tuck?

It has been 6 mo. since my tummy tuck, my stomach is looking bloated and fat... I want anouther tuck? Should i get anouther one? I thinck if i exercise it will flatten? But, I dont know what exersice should i do?

+2

Regarding: "Tummy Tuck - What Should I Do if I Look Bloated and Fat After Tummy Tuck?
It has been 6 mo. since my tummy tuck, my stomach is looking bloated and fat... I want anouther tuck? Should i get anouther one? I thinck if i exercise it will flatten? But, I dont know what exersice should i do
?"

Without an examination, much less a photo, it is impossible to tell you why you feel "bloated". There are several potential reasons, some of which you may not want to hear:

- If you were obese (BMI over 30) before surgery, then odds are while there was an improvement in the look of your tummy, it was not a major one. If there is a lot of fat INSIDE the abdomen, a Tummy tuck will not be able to help you. If this was the case your outcome was predictable.

- if on the other hand your immediate post-operative result was attractive but you were indiscreet with food and exercise after the operation and gained weight, a Tummy tuck is NOT a weight gain prevention operation and the blame for the weight gain falls on you.

- There is a small chance that either muscle tightening stitches were not done properly or became undone causing the bloated look. That possibility would be more likely if you were flatter after surgery and then lost the flat look especially after a vomiting or coughing bout.

- Finally, there is a small chance that you formed a fluid collection under the skin which gives you a bloated feel.

Your surgeon should be able to review your photos with you and guide you regarding your options.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Fullness and Bloating After Tummy Tuck

+2

Another tummy tuck is almost certainly NOT the answer!

• With the help of your surgeon, determine the causes of your "fullness" and "bloating." 
    • Make sure the causes are not surgical.
  • There can be many reasons for which the solution(s) may not be surgical.
    • For example, the answers may have to do with diet and exercise.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is not a cure for obesity.

+2

A tummy tuck will remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal wall and only the abdominal wall.  Most of the time laxity of the fascia that embraces the muscles of the abdomen is repaired.  However, if the patient has excess fat within the abdominal cavity, only weight loss will allow further flattening of the stomach.

Bloating after Tummy Tuck depends on work done

+2

This depends on what was done the first time. Was the muscles repaired? Was liposuction also performed? Was there a seroma after the first surgery?

Most importantly, HOW MUCH FAT DID YOU HAVE INSIDE YOUR BELLY in between the inside organs?

Have another Evaluation by a BOARD CERTIFIED Plastic Surgeon.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing you...

+2

This is a tough question to answer without seeing you preoperatively or postoperatively.

Most swelling after surgery usually subsides within the first few months. Some of my patients that I perform a tummy tuck on will need a second stage liposuction of the abdominal flap. I stage them because I think it is safer.

Core strengthening after tummy tuck will improve your results

+1

Consider working out with a personal trainer who is experienced and can instruct you using a Pilates core strenghtening exercise regimen before you schedule another surgical procedure. 

Feeling Fat and Bloated after a Tummy Tuck

+1

You may be experiencing swelling still in the abdominal region.  You definitely want to consult with your Plastic Surgeon though. always remember that diet and exercise are always important in life. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Diet and Exercise

+1

Unfortunately, many people believe that plastic surgery is an alternative to diet and exercise.  This of course, in not true.  A tummy tuck addresses some of the the skin and fat on the abdominal wall but, in order to achieve the optimal results it must be supplemented by diet and exercise to strengthen the abdominal wall muscles and burn the residual "visceral" or "mesenteric" fat that reside around the intra-abdominal organs.  This is what may give someone the round, bloated or pot-belly appearance.

The good news is that this intra-abdominal fat is usually the first to disappear when losing weight.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Fullness and bloating after abdominoplasty surgery

+1

The answer to this question depends on what we find during your examination. Your 'bloating' may be caused by excessive intra-abdominal fat, abdominal skinflap swelling, being overweight, or loss of midline plication.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Speak to your surgeon

+1

It is not uncommon for some swelling to persist for up to 1 year after abdominoplasty.  You should be able to exercise without restriction at  6 months, including sit ups.  Follow-up with your plastic surgeon to check on your condition. 

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon