What Should I Add to my Diet to Get Better Skin?

Are there proven ingredients or foods to improve skin tone, elasticity...or for avoiding aging winkles and facial lines? What diet changes are recommended?

Healthy Diet

+1

I would not look for one particular ingredient that makes skin look better, as nature packages our food with a complex array of nutrients.  A healthy diet will definitely give you a healthy glow and can help prevent skin cancer as well.  Make sure you get a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits and minimize processed/refined foods, such as white flour.  You want to avoid sugars and artificial sweeteners as much as possible, as these tend to be toxic for our bodies.  Most people don't get enough omega 3 fatty acids, yet our diets have too much vegetable oils.  This creates an out of balance ratio between the omega 3's and 6's.  In this case, it is best to supplement with omega 3 fish or krill oil from a reputable source.  With fish oil, you get what you pay for. 

Your digestion will also play a key role in healthy skin, as you can eat a good diet, but if you have poor digestion you will not be absorbing your nutrients.  You may benefit from digestive enzymes and probiotics.  Also, make sure you stay hydrated with purified water.  Avoid caffeine and sweetened drinks, including fruit juices (which are very sugary).

Burbank Dermatologist

Skin health-promoting daily supplements should include a...

+1

Skin health-promoting daily supplements should include a good probiotic, an essential fatty acid supplement rich in Omega 3, 6 and 9’s, minerals, green powder, fiber and spirulina.

Jeannette Graf, MD
Great Neck Dermatologist