Is the New Smartlipo Better Than Older Technology?

the doctor i contacted about laser smartlipo said that she uses the new technology vs. older smartlipo. is it really better and worth the extra cost?

Smart Lipo has wonderful benefit over traditional lipo

+2

Smart Lipo is the combination of traditional liposuction with internal laser treatment. The laser destroys the fat cells, coagulates the vessels and stimulates more collagen formation which results in a more uniform result, and improved skin contraction than one would see with traditional liposuction. Both procedures are considered day procedures and done in an out patient setting.

The Smart Lipo is actually more time consuming due to the laser treatment but the bleeding and bruising is less as the laser prevents as much bleeding. Both procedures are limited by the skin's ability to contract but with the internal laser treatment, the contraction is improved and many patient's have seen remarkable results.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

What's new is not always better

+2

The proponents of laser assisted lipolysis claim that it is superior to liposucition but it has yet to be proven. I have had one patient who went to another surgeon who offered this technology about two years ago and she was dissatisfied with the results.

It is slightly more delicate but that's not always good and it may not be sufficient and will take more time. I have performed a laser assisted lipolysis procedure and followed the patient for several months. While the patient is generally satisfied, I believe the same results could have been achieved for less with traditional liposuction. It was a small area and took a long time.

I know that may not make immediate sense but let me give you an analogy which will help to clarify.

You have a standard size room that you want painted. Do you want to pay for someone to paint it with a standard 8 inch roller brush and get the job done in a reasonable time? OR would you rather have them paint the entire room with a 1/8' fine detail brush? I am sure the latter will be more precise and get every little corner but can you imagine how long that would take? Does that make any sense?

I know this may be oversimplified but it is hard to explain the difference.

Smartlipo differs from traditional Lipo

+1

Smartlipo is the first laser-assisted liposuction system. This is a minimally invasive procedure for removing fat using a high-powered laser to contour the body. There are minimal side effects with little discomfort.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

It's not the laser, it's the doctor who make the most difference.

+1

Good technology is only as good as the doctor operating the device.  Don't shop technology as much as doing due deligence on the doctor who will perform the procedure.  The SmartLipo MPX is powerful with three different wavelengths of laser light.  This provides lots of potential for doing good and for doing harm.  It depends on the skill of the doctor.  It's not the paint, it's the artist that make a difference.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Safer is ALWAYS Better!

+1

The biggest difference between the old technology and the new SmartLipo Triplex is speed and safety. Speed helps decrease anesthesia times, but the real benefit is the new safety features.

An accelerometer (like the one in your iPhone!) shuts down the laser when it is not moving. A built in temperature sensor gives the surgeon a moment to moment reading. Both of these together minimize risk of burns and allow better skin heating to improve the tightening effect.

As any surgeon...safer is always better!

Regards,

KC

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Latest Smart Lipo technology - your body in whose hands?

+1

There are multiple generations of Smartlipo machines, the most recent would be the Smartlipo MPX and the one with temperature monitoring - more powerful and more efficient in fat melting, the temperature monitoring adds a layer of safety.

As always, it is the one using the machine that determines the result primarily so it is in your best interest to really look into this - the experience and level of training of your surgeon. No matter what people say, Liposuction is still a surgical procedure.

J. Vicente P. Poblete, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo MPX vs. older technology is comparing apple to oranges

+1

Smart lipo MPX is the most advanced laser liposuction device in the market. The main advantages are: addition of a second laser wavelength, which makes the destruction of the fat cells and tightening of the skin more effective, higher delivery of energy, safety features in the form of a temperature sensor and a motion sensor, which will stop the machine if the temperature increases or the operator stop moving the cannula. The temperature sensor allows the correct delivery of energy needed to obtain the desired skin contraction. In summary is not only better but safer.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo Mpx gets improved results over older technology

+1

The smartlipo mpx is certainly better than the first smartlipo machines. It is a more powerful machine with dual wavelengths and thermoscan, all of which gives improved results by increasing the skin tightening effect. The thermoscan also improves the safety factor. Older machines were underpowered and did not give as much skin tightening.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

New Smartlipo has its advantages

+1

The key to laser lipolysis (smartlipo) is to accurately and evenly heat the tissue to a predetermined temperature to stimulate collagen production and remodeling. The newer generation smartlipo machines have "thermaguide" which is a temperature sensor at the tip of the laser which very accurately determines the tissue temperature in real time. This helps to remove guess work and measuring errors.

Even tissue heating stimulates collagen remodeling and production which leads to improved skin contraction versus conventional liposuction. Too little heating of the tissue has insufficient effect and is no better than traditional liposuction. Too much heating of the tissue has potentially serious side effects and should be avoided.

The new "thermaguide" temperature sensor help physicians more evenly and consistently reach the target tissue temperature in order to deliver the optimum treatment outcomes.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo MPX with temperature control is superior

+1

The newer version of SmartLipo is certainly superior to the earlier generations. The newer SmartLipo MPX system is better both for fat removal and skin tightening. The Thermaguide system in the newer system has a built in temperature monitor that controls the temperature of the laser to avoid the possiblilty of burns from the laser.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon