Mesotherapy Side Effects

What sort of side effects are possible with mesotherapy?

The biggest complication of mesotherapy is not knowing enough about the treatments.

+3

Numerous dermatologists and plastic surgeons are worried about mesotherapy because they do not understand the outcomes of the treatment. The biggest complication of the procedure is not knowing or fully understanding what is specifically being injected. Today, we simply do not know how effective and safe the mesotherapy injections are. Questions about the procedure that I have been frequently asked but unable to answer include: does the fat come back or is it dissolved permanently? What is the long term results of meostherapy injections?

Mesotherapy is a minimal invasive procedure which employs a series of multiple injections of various pharmaceutical and homeopathic chemical agents into the selective areas of fat. Mesotherapy injections target fat cells by inducing fat cells to rupture and/or causing cellular death. A patient may feel burning and irritation at the injection site and experience swelling at the time of the injections and immediately afterwards. The most common agents injected are Phosphatidylcholine/Sodium Deoxycholate.

Personally, I have been very interested in mesotherapy, but reluctant to use it until I know I can expect reasonable outcomes consistently. Until that is accomplished, I must recommend that you be extremely cautious. Please check into the credentials of the treating physician and his/her experience. You should seek treatment by physicians who are properly trained and certified by The American Board of Aesthetic Mesotherapy. Check with your state medical boards to see if mesotherapy treatments are allowed.

Thank you for your question, and I hope this helps.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Mesotherapy side effects

+1

Mesotherapy has developed a questionable reputation over the last several years.  You may be surprised to find that one of the most common applications of mesotherapy in Europe is not cosmetic at all.  It is commonly used for chronic pains and arthritis in patients before starting steroids.  I had a pleasure of studying it in Europe with several physicians and I have found that many of them do not have a standart formulation but rather custom designed for each patients condition.  Side effects vary depending on exact composition.  MOst common ones relate to mechanical effects of inserting the needle under the skin, like swelling, bruising, pain, infection, inflammation and so on.

In US most mesotherapy treatments are associated with Lipodissolve - type injection, but this is only one of the components of mesotherapy treatments.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon