Best Treatment for Fat Ankles That Will Give Me a Better Shape?

What are my option for fat ankles? i'm not overweight but my lower legs are shapeless, esp.my ankles. Is lipo available for me? if so, how much does it cost? Thanks!

Liposuction for fat ankles

+2

Liposuction of Calves and Ankles (Cankles) can absolutely perfomed and it can provide a beautiful result that can be life changing.

Liposuction is a body contouring surgery that requires not only an artist's eye, but also the insight to determine which patients are likely to benefit from the procedure, and which specific areas of a patient's body are appropriate for liposuction. When artfully and appropriately applied, liposuction can produce dramatic contour improvements. As with all plastic surgery, the goal should be to produce a natural contour.

Some liposuction patients that I treat seek a 'total body makeover', and undergo circumferential liposuction of the trunk, thighs and lower legs. The soft tissue contraction and resulting contour enhancement that is achieved by circumferential liposuction of a given area can be truly amazing.

At the same time, I am increasingly seeing patients who come in for what I refer to as 'finesse' or 'refinement' liposuction, where very fit individuals seek refinement of specific areas that they feel are resistant to further improvement with diet and exercise.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

The possible treatment depends on the anatomical basis...

+2

The possible treatment depends on the anatomical basis for your ankle shape. The ankle joint is predominantly bone and tendon with little muscle so the shape is dominated by the amount and distribution of fat. However, some lower extremities are influenced by the size and shape of the muscles.

Depending on what you want to achieve, liposuction may be a viable alternative. Calf implants can also be used cautiously to add shape to the lower extremity and may complement contouring with liposuction. Often excellent results can be achieved.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Liposuction is an option

+2

Yes, liposuction is performed on ankles and calves. These are areas, though, that involve many months of patience while you wait for the swelling to decrease. Indentations may occur post-operatively and are permanent unless corrected.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction for "cankles"

+1

Liposuction can be performed for nearly any area on the lower extremities, but keep a few things in mind:

• The lower the procedure, the more pronounced and long lasting the post operative swelling
  • Liposuction should not be performed below the ankle
  • To get the best results you will likely need to treat more than just the ankle
  • If you have poor skin tone or venous insufficiency you may not be a good candidate for this type of procedure.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the ankles

+1

Liposuction of the ankles is possible but often leads to the most disappointed patients because of the difficulty to thin them out as much as the patients desire.

Liposuction of the ankles

+1

Liposuction is a safe, popular, and effective way to contour the body. Although it is possible to perform liposuction of the ankles, patients should keep in mind that as we go down farther on the leg you will experience a very prolonged period of swelling and prolonged recovery. After treating this area, patients should wear very tight compression stockings to help manage the swelling. This area the body remains swollen for 10 to 12 months. Although it is an effective treatment, patients should understand this before undergoing the procedure.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Correction of Fat Ankles

+1

The Fat Ankles also known by other less flattering terms can be addressed with liposuction. Liposuction in this area requires much smaller tubes (cannula) than elsewhere and is associated with more swelling owing both to the procedure and the fact that these areas cannot be elevated or rested for prolonged periods of time. But good results are obtainable with leg and ankle liposuction.

Liposuction can improve fat ankles.

+1

Hi.

Of course it depends exactly on your anatomy, but many women with thick or shapeless legs can be improved with liposuction of the ankles. This a tricky area, so you need a really experienced surgeon. Tiny cannulas must be used.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Solution to fat ankles

+1

Removing excess fat from the ankles with liposuction is not ideal or frankly a good idea, period.  The way our practice approaches this common issue is with Mesotherapy or Lipodissolve.  Usually 3 treatments done every 4 weeks will improve this area.  

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is the best treatment for fat ankles or "cankles"

+1

Ankle liposuction will provide natural looking results that you are looking for.

It is important to keep in mind that if you are an overweight individual, then weight loss may also fix your ankles. If you are slender and have fat ankles, then you may need have a genetic issue that can only be corrected by ankle liposuction.

Also, in some cases, large ankles or calves may be caused by a large muscle--in which case the issue cannot be corrected.

Usha Rajagopal, MD