What is Macrolane?

I've heard that injections are supposed to be a non surgical alternative to breast implants.  Is this true?  Does it really work?

Macrolane is a Hyaluronic Acid (HA) product, which is...

+4

Macrolane is a Hyaluronic Acid (HA) product, which is currently available in Europe and was produced by the original manufacturers of Restylane.

Although its main focus has been treatment of soft tissue contouring irregularities following liposuction, some injectors have advocated its use as an alternative to implant breast augmentation. Although I have an extensive background in the use of various HA fillers and feel them to be an excellent way in which to address volume loss, I do not see them as a cost-effective or long-term solution to breast implants. It would simply require too much volume to achieve desired results and the longevity of the product may require yearly touch-ups or more.

At this point, I do not see any of the fillers or volumizers as an adequate alternative to breast implant augmentation.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

What is Macrolane

+1

Macrolane is a hyluronic acid filler made by the makers of Resylane and developed for breast augmentation. The material is placed by injection and can enhance breast size, adjust a misshaped breast, though the material is not permanent. The product is likely to have very many other applications and it is available in the UK and Europe. Trials have not started in the US or in Canada.

peterejohnsonmd

Macrolane another filler

+1

Macrolane is a dense filler which is made by Q Med, the same company that makes Restylane and Perlane. Macrolane uses hyaluronic acid and is designed for shaping breasts, calves and buttocks. Q Med claims that the product lasts 12 to 18 months.

As you may know the FDA has been reluctant to approve breast implants and this attitude will probably be reflected in their decisiions regarding this product.

It is likely that Macroland will first be approved for contour irregularities such as calf or arm deformities. Then much like other cosmetic treatments, some physicians will begin to use it off-label. After all Botox's only cosmetic indicaiton is for glabellar lines.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist