Hair Transplant Doctor Best for Hair Loss Treatment?

Recently I have been having a lot of hair loss; thinning dramatically. I do not know where to turn to find out way. Any suggestions? Would I go to my medical provider or seek a dermatologist. It does not appear to be anything wrong with my scalp. Thanks!

Seek a Dermatologist Who Specializes in Hair Loss

+1

If you’re concerned about thinning hair I would recommend you seek a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss and restoration. The list of possible causes for hair loss is ongoing, and even if nothing appears to be wrong with your scalp, a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss can often determine the cause based on your medical history and a thorough examination of the hair loss pattern.

If the cause of hair loss is not determined after a close examination and medical history review, the specialist can perform certain tests to determine the exact cause of your hair loss and start you on an appropriate treatment plan. If you see an experienced hair loss specialist, you will be more likely to determine the cause of hair loss sooner and less likely to have to endure multiple tests to determine the cause.

Pattern baldness occurs in both men and women and is the number one cause of hair loss. Other factors like medications, trauma, and stress affect hair as well. A hair loss and restoration specialist can tell you if medications, topical treatments, or hair restoration surgery would best suit your individual needs.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Which doctor for hair loss treatment?

+1

Usually I refer patients to a dermatologist for hair loss related problems as they are the most knowledgeable. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Who to choose for Hair Grafting

+1

I think that you need to do your homework and ask who in your community does very good quality hairgrafting.  The  specialist could be a Dermatologist, Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon.  Most importantly, are they trained in performing hair graft procedures?  I am certainly biased being a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  I have developed a wonderful, highly talented team that assist in the grafting procedures, but you can see this duplicated in many areas of the country.  Please do your homework, and good luck.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

+1

Your primary care physician would be a great place to start.

You can also do a search for a local physician that performs hair transplants. Most will be able to address your concerns and get you heading in the right direction.

When an individual comes into our office, we have more to offer than just 1 procedure(Hair Transplants). For example if a patient has an issue with shedding, the modalities we turn to are Rogaine, Propecia and Luce. If there is enough space between the thinning hairs we can address the hair transplant.

It also never hurts to get more than 1 opinion.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant specialist

+1

The best hair transplant physcian is someone who is a well trained surgeon, has extensive training in hair transplant surgery, who has great experience and patient numbers, and who also has an artistic eye . He then needs to have a great support staff that can help cut the grafts and place the grafts in a precise and timely fashion. Both aspects must be present to get the patient the best results. Our office has almost 20 techs working on hair graft trimming and placement which assures that all grafts taken are cut precisely and placed properly without excessive time out of the scalp. And I am constantly returning to adjust the graft holes and make sure the follicles are going in correctly

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Primary Care Physician

+1

Your primary care physician can begin your hair loss workup with a medical history, physicial examination including scalp exam, and common lab tests such as thyroid levels. Your primary care physician can prescribe propecia or recommend rogaine. If there is no medically reversible cause for your hair loss, hair transplantation can be performed with excellent results for the right candidate.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

See a hair specialist.

+1

There are two methods of hair replacement--Hair transplants and hair flaps. Investigate both methods and wait until you are sure you will have enough donor hair to finish the job without looking abnormal.

Best to see Hair Transplant Specialist

+1

The best doctor to see for your unexplained hair loss is a doctor who specializes in hair loss treatment. Many patients with early stages of hair loss can be explained by various medical conditions and treated non-surgically. Those with more advanced hair loss might be a candidate for hair transplantation. Your primary care physician can do some preliminary evaluation for conditons that are associated with hair loss such as; thyroid disease, low iron, or hormonal irregularities.

Many patients will have hair loss with normal health, but this can be due to genetics and is often to referred to as androgenic alopecia. There are many hair loss treatments on the market that do not really work and it would be to your advantage to see a physician who specializes in this area for guidance before wasting your time and money on products and solutions that aren't effective.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Doctor for hair loss

+1

For patients who have unexplained hair loss, my suggestion is to visit with a dermatologist.

In men, the most common reason for hair loss is male pattern baldness or, technically speaking, androgenic alopecia. In women, hair loss can be due to androgenic alopecia but there is a greater chance that it is caused by some other medical condition.

The diagnosis of your hair loss may be simple or it may require other diagnostic testing and possibly even a biopsy to determine the cause. Once the cause is established, you can determine if you wish further treatment.

For patients with a medical cause for their hair loss, often treating the medical condition will restore the hair loss. For other patients, particular those with androgenic alopecia, hair transplants or other hair restoration options may be sought.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon