Is This is a Mole? What is it? (photo)

Mole removal on the scalp

+1

The pigmented mole on your scalp may be a form of a benign seborrheic growth that is common. An examination would be useful to plan a surgical removal of the mole. 

Mole removal

+1

It is difficult to assess without seeing you in person.  I would highly recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon or a dermatologist for a proper evaluation. 

Sam Naficy, MD

What is it?

+1

Hi, Ashish.  It's a little difficult to tell from your picture, but this spot looks like it could be a seborrheic keratosis or a nevus sebaceous.  A seborrheic keratosis is a benign (non-cancerous) growth, it can sometimes look warty; a spot of this size would be more likely to occur in older individuals.  A nevus sebaceous is generally present from birth or early childhood, as a flat yellowish or slightly orange or brown area that can be bumpy.  During puberty, these lesions can grow in thickness and start to look more bumpy or warty.  Cancers and non-cancerous tumors can grow in a nevus sebaceous.  There are other possibilities for what your spot could be, and for this reason, I would recommend you get the area evaluated by a dermatologist to make sure that the it is not dangerous to your health.  It's especially important to get an evaluation if the area is changing rapidly in size, shape, color, or is bleeding or otherwise symptomatic.

Anita Shetty, MD
Atlanta Dermatologist