What is a Weekend Facelift?

I heard on tv about a week end lift that makes a facelift much easier and cheaper. what is this procedure?  does it make sense for someone with jowels that sag just a bit and when house hold budget is a concern?

Weekend Facelift

+6
I believe it is not how fast I can do surgery, but how good I can make it that is important. My time on the day of surgery will benefit my patients the rest of their lives. Personally, for me, it would be a soulless pursuit for my office to just collect the patients payment and then rush through the procedure and obtain a mediocre result. The real joy is doing my very best knowling my patients and their families have trusted me with their faces and their well-being.
One size fits all surgery will rarely provide patients with the desired results. Today, the popular media is filled with reports of the "latest and greatest" aesthetic treatments and procedures (including surgical procedures), many of which come and go in the blink of an eye. In some instances, the "latest thing" may merely turn out to be ineffective, but in some cases, it may turn out to have an unacceptably high risk of complications, and in a few cases it may turn out to be, quite frankly, dangerous.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Weekend facelift, a lifetime of trouble

+4

Minilifts, as you know if you have read my previous posts, are marketing genius, and patient nightmares.

The pulling of a minifacelift is intense around the minimally undermined skin, so scarring is often wide and painful.

You can read about the experience of having a minifacelift under local anesthesia. Few patients describe it as pleasant.

The effectiveness around the jowl and neck area is often minimal, simply because the surgeon isn't nearly done when the operation is over, and all the deep tissues that could have been raised and repositioned remain untouched..

Patients who choose minilifts often do so because of the price. That makes the patient economically that much farther from an experienced facelift surgeon if they are not happy with their results and need a revision, or notice that the results faded so quickly. Redong a badly done facelift requires greater expertise than performing a first time facelift, especially if earlobe, hairline, tragus, direction of pull, and scarring are to be revised.

Minilifts have their place, but usually for very minimal signs of aging, and are usually best done in conjunction with SMAS manipulation and repositioning, or in cases or revision where the primary work was well done and slightly more tightening is needed.

Ancillary procedures such as volume replacement, adjustment of lips, frown lines, brow position, eyelid and cheek architecture are just as important as the facelift itself in most cases.

The recovery of a simple facelift, properly done, by a facelift expert is no different than a minilift, and the skill and artistic level is higher.

Since large marketing companies have very glitzy before and after pictures, decision making for patients is difficult. Read carefully what other patients have said online about their experiences, and decide accordingly.

Brent Moelleken, MD

What is a Weekend Facelift? A "Lunch Hour" Facelift? etc

+3

Regarding: "What is a Weekend Facelift?
I heard on tv about a week end lift that makes a facelift much easier and cheaper. what is this procedure? does it make sense for someone with jowels that sag just a bit and when house hold budget is a concern
?"

The Weekend Lift is another crass marketing effort to separate you from your money by preying on your belief that you can get something for nothing with little to no recovery.

This "Facelift" operation is a close cousin to the :
- " I can't believe this is a Facelift" Facelift
- "Scarless" Drive-thru Facelift
- "Lunch Hour" Facelift
- J Lift
- "Noninvasive" Facelift etc

Shortly after Facelifts began to be performed over a hundred years ago, some surgeons would re-resurrect old, ineffectual and short-lasting skin only Facelift procedures, tack a variety of catchy names on them and sell them to gullible people as God's secret, hereto uncovered amazing recovery-free "Facelift".

Once we live more than 10 years on earth and come to know the identities of Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, most of us also begin to understand that there is no such thing as a "free" lunch. Sadly there are many "born every minute" who never learn this lesson are are continuously enriching the less scrupulous among us, be they the ones that sell slimming vitamins, "breast growing" pills or "nonsurgical" facelifts.

Let's assume that it take as an above average degree of intelligence for a Plastic surgeon to graduate at the top of his/her class, complete training in Surgery, then get into a good Plastic Surgery training program, complete it and pass his boards. If such zero recovery, "scarless" "facelifts" were really effective, why wouldn't the vast majority of these intelligent Plastic surgeons offer THIS operation in their practices rather than the operations that take several hours to perform and 7-10 days to recover from? How can such smart people be so short-sighted? OR can it be that they know such operations are NOT what they are promoted as being?

Think about it.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Weekend facelift - no weekday results!

+3

Many of these terms are marketing gimmicks.  This is similar to calling a used car...preowned.  Essentially, there are numerous marketing gimmicks advertising minimal downtime, etc.  Some of these are true, and some are just gimmicks.  Unless you address the SMAS layer and the platysma, your results will be sub-optimal and will not stand the test of time.  Ask to see pics, ask to talk to patients!

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weekend Facelift

+2

Unfortunately, the weekend facelift is not all it's made out to be, which is a lowcost  facelift with almost no downtime. There are several variations that involve using barbed threads which heal very quickly and, if it's done by a skillful person, looks pretty good very quickly. But in a few months the only thing you have left is the memory of how fast you healed. The lift is gone. There are also minimal lifts with little undermining that also look good and heal quickly but.....they don't last either. It doesn't mean you shouldn't consider these procedures. Maybe you need to look good for an upcoming event and money is no object. Just understand that you save nothing in the long run as far as expenses go, because you'll need another lift in the near future.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What is a Weekend Facelift?

+2

Weekend facelifts imply mini-facelifts, which in my opinion give mini-results. I see several patients a month who are very disenchanted with their weekend facelifts, and many feel they wasted money on a misrepresented procedure. These are procedures that were done when facelifting first  began many decades ago, so the are not new.  A few deep sutures and pullng the skin tight doesn't work, particularly after the first few months. Skin stretches, and the results are inadequate and do not look natural. People want to look younger, not face-lifted.

Think about it:

The skin must be elevated to get to the deep structures that must also be lifted and sutured.

Elevating the skin causes swelling and bruising as does addressing the problems with the deeper structures.

Liposuction is often needed in the neck and jowl area, which causes swelling and bruising.

If the eyelids must be liften, they too will swell and becopme bruised.

All of these necessary steps (and this is a vastly incomplete list) are necessary for a natural, long-lasting result, and they take more than a weekend to recover.

I always feel terrible for a patient who has spent their hard-earned money on an inadequate facelift that had no chance of achievng an adequate result.

If one is speaking of a "liquid facelift," that is a different matter. This is revolumizing a face with a filler, such as Sculptra, Juvederm, Restylane or Artefill. It is effective in selected patients, but it is not a true facelift and doesn't address the jowl adequately or lose skin in the neck. They are wonderful procedures, but when a facelift is needed, there is no substitute for the real thing when a patient can afford it and when a week or so can be put aside for recovery--not a weekend.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Weekend Facelifts

+2

There is absolutely no such thing as a true weekend facelift. There may be physicians that perform weekend facelifts, but by and large there is no such thing as a weekend facelift or a one-day recovery facelift unless you’re considering doing nonsurgical techniques such as fillers and Botox for shaping the face. However, to do a true, long lasting, natural Lift & Fill facelift requires the true expertise of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that is trained in not only facial anatomy, but facial analysis and expertise in doing natural facial re-shaping. Seek your plastic surgeon carefully and wisely. You only have one face.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Weekend Lift vs traditional facelift

+2

Although others may say or think differently, I use the term Weekend Lift to refer to a real face and neck lift procedure  which is highly effective at correcting age related changes of both the jowl and the neck.  This is accomplished under local anesthesia without the long incisions of a traditional facelift procedure.  In my opinion, these very long incisions result in prolonged healing and are unnecessary in most patients.  It is certainly NOT a waste of money.  In fact, I would say it is a most wise use of funds for almost every patient.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

It's marketing

+2

Doctors adopt names such as "weekend facelift" for marketing purposes. This is not a term generally accepted by plastic surgeons, so  what is really is depends on what  the doctor using the term means by it.

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

Week-end facelift

+2

Contrary to my colleagues comments, I have performed the "week-end facelift" with good long lasting results. As opposed to the current marketing terms floating around such as "quicklift" and "lifestyle lift", the term week-end facelift was coined by a dermatologist (probably not comfortable doing facelifts). The technique involves one incision below the chin (not seen). The next step is to liposuction the neck and jowls. Muscles are tightened and then a laser is used to shrink the neck muscle (platysma). A chin implant is sometimes used. Costs in Jacksonville are between $3000 and $4000. To view photos, please visit the coastal cosmetic center website under facial implants.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon