What Are Invisalign "Buttons" and Where Are They Attached.

I just got my x-rays, etc. yesterday. Can someone explain this attachments/buttons thing to me? That is not something I had been educated on... do they go on the back of your teeth?

I have to say I'm looking forward to getting the whole process going. My two teeth next to my top front teeth are about 1/3 crowded behind my front teeth. I told myself that I'd fix them before I was 30. I'm 29 now so I'm finally getting it done! She is also going to trim down my front teeth - anyone had this done?

Attachments help grip tooth and act as anchors; buttons are used to attach auxilliaries

+6

Attachments are auxilliaries to aid in the movement of teeth by providing a larger surface area for your Invisalign to grip onto. They are temporarily bonded to your teeth with the help of aligner templates using a white filling material to match the shade of your teeth.

They can serve as anchors for certain segements of your teeth so that some can move, while others do not. They may also be required to help keep aligners in palce while wearing elastics.

There are many different shaped attachments, with some of the larger ones being 4mmX2mmX1mm. Most attachments are now of a square or rectangular shape and bevelled to make them less visible and allow aligners to be more easily removed. They also allow more tolerance for incorrectly fitting aligners.

Buttons on the other hand are generally a clear or metal auxillary bonded to a tooth to allow an elastic to be attached to it. It is similar to a brace. Often times, your aligner must be trimmed so that the button can be bonded to your tooth while allowing aligner seating.

Judicious use of attachments and buttons are some of the most important aspects of proper Invisalign treatment. See an experienced local provider who can help determine if attachments are required for your treatment.

Toronto Orthodontist

Invisalign Attachments help to move teeth

+3

Think of attachments on teeth as little handles on them which allow the aligners to 'grip' onto a more challenging tooth.  Otherwise the tooth surface is smooth and the aligners sometimes slip on the tooth surface.  These originally were not used as much as they are today.  They have helped to give us a much more predictable result, and that is a great thing.  Attachments called buttons can be used for the patient to wear rubber bands to correct certain problems that can't be corrected otherwise, also a great thing.  These improvements help to make the Invisalign experience better for both the patient and the doctor.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Invisalign buttons

+2

The buttons are tooth colored fillilng material, to match your shade.  They are placed using a special tray for a precise fit.  We use them to control tooth movement and provide anchorage.  The are easily removed and do not harm your natural tooth.  They are barely noticible when the aligners are in.

Cate Vieregger, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

They act as anchors or help teeth rotate

+2

the invislaign buttons are there for specific reasons and not every case requires them. Mostly they help in rotation movement or in extrsion movement (bring a tooth down). Teeth with round surfaces wonts turn easily unless there is something for the tray to hold onto. There are times if the tooth is severely rotated that elastics are required befoe starting the invisalign treatment.

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Attachments or Buttons are sometimes required

+1

Attachments or Buttons are made by bonding small amounts of composite or tooth color filling material to your teeth. 

They are usually required for Invisalign treatment, especially if teeth need to be rotated, or moved up/down (intruded/extruded). 

Sometimes these attachments need to be placed on your front teeth. They are the same color as your teeth, but they may still be noticeable from a close distance when the aligners are removed. 

They act as anchors to help the teeth move into the desired position. 

At the end of treatment they are removed. 

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Attaching Invisalign to Your Teeth

+1

Attachments are bonded to designated areas on certain teeth in order to aid in the prescribed tooth movement. They are bonded (and clear) to the front side of the teeth. Attachments are very important for the most accurate tooth movements and are fairly easy to become accustomed to.

Janet H. Stoess-Allen, DMD
New York Orthodontist

What are Invisalign "buttons"?

+1

Since you have not yet started your Invisalign treatment, the "buttons" you are referring to are most likely ATTACHMENTS.  Attachments are small mounds of tooth colored composite bonded to your enamel surface.  They can be used for a variety of reasons, such as to help hold the Aligner in your mouth or to aid in specific tooth movement.  Attachments are generally placed within the first few sets of aligners and remain throughout your Invisalign treatment, being removed at the end prior to retainer placement.  They can be placed on ANY surface of the tooth, depending upon the reason they are being used.  Most often they are fairly inconspicuous, so you won't have to worry.  "Buttons" may be used later in your treatment for elastic wear - and are actually small orthodontic auxilliaries shaped like buttons made of either metal or plastic depending upon their application.

Kara J. McCulloch, DMD
Mercer Island Orthodontist