What Skin Care Ingredients Should I Avoid?

Every time i read about skin care products i hear i should be avoiding one ingredient or another. There are soooo many ingredients in skin products so which ones are best to stay away from?

Any cream that says it has anti-aging properties without...

+6

Any cream that says it has anti-aging properties without any proven ingredients should be avoided. You see, the regulatory agencies have very little control over claims in cosmetics, even when they are outrageous.

For example, neuropeptides are way overrated. Sure, the skin needs them as they decrease with age. But there is very little evidence in any scientific literature that topically-applied (applied to the skin) neuropeptides actually get into the skin, and there are no studies to show that they even work.

Stick to the science and to verified and proven results.

Mature skin that is thin should avoid having too much...

+3

Mature skin that is thin should avoid having too much acid applied to it (e.g. glycolic acids).

As long as the skin is not overly sensitive or thin, there is no intrinsic reason that mature skin needs to avoid any specific ingredient.

Granted, it may be necessary for mature skin to gradually get accustomed to some ingredients and this may necessitate application of product every third night instead of every night but in most instances, mature skin will tolerate most ingredients if they are introduced in the right manner.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

The skin care market is flooded with exotic ingredients...

+3

The skin care market is flooded with exotic ingredients that don't deliver promised results. Ingredients such as pearl dust and caviar, I would recommend wearing the first and eating the second, but avoid putting it on your face.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Just check with your doctor.

+1

There is no way you can know about/ avoid all the ingredients that you are 'supposed to avoid'. Many products do not even have all the ingredients listed.

Just check with your doctor about a product you would like to use, and he/she can then tell you if it is okay for you to use that product, given your skin's requirements. Otherwise, I do not think your shopping will ever be done!

Good luck!

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist