Tummy Tuck Surgery Effect on Size and Shape of Breasts?

I am scheduled to have my long awaited tummy tuck on December 30th. I decided to wait until after my sons wedding in November as I did not want to risk not feeling 100% for that. My question is related to the effects that pulling the skin down will have on my breasts. I am happy with my size and take pride that for my age (48), my boobs still look good. Does anyone know if this is a concern? Should I mention this to my surgeon as a concern?

Tummy Tuck Won't Change Breasts

A tummy tuck will not change the shape, size or position of your breasts.

The downward pull of the tummy skin is not transmitted to the breasts because of underlying attachments of the skin and muscle to the rib cage.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

2050 E County Line Rd
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Breast size and tummy tucks

A tummy tuck by itself will have no effect on breast size.  That being said I have had patients that some time after a tummy tuck and liposuction if they gain weight that gain seems to go to increase the breast size.  We always encourage patients to maintain a stable diet an exercise routine after body contouring however after correcting the "problem areas"  in can be easy to let up a bit.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

6525 France Ave. South
Edina, MN 55435

Breasts Unaffected by Tummy Tuck

The breasts are separate from your abdomen, so undergoing a standard tummy tuck will not have any effect on your breasts. Some patients opt for breast augmentation through the tummy tuck incision so that no visible scars are left on the breasts, but if you are happy with the size and shape of your breasts, I would not recommend making any changes. The only difference you may find is that you may enjoy the appearance of your breasts more because of the change in the body contour. Good luck with your surgery!

Tarick K. Smaili, MD

9025 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Not much.

If anything your breasts will look better by comparision to a thinner "tighter" waist after most tummy tuck operations. For women thinking of possible breast implants, I tell them to wait after their tummy tuck surgery because often the desire for larger breasts diminishes a bit after the waist is thinned by tummy tuck surgery.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866

There should be no effect on your breasts.

Having a tummy tuck will have no or minimal effect on your breasts. In fact, many people choose to have breast surgery at the same time as their abdominoplasty - so while the belly gets smaller, the breasts get bigger (or lifted).

Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

There should be no effect on your breasts from a...

There should be no effect on your breasts from a properly done tummy tuck. If anything, they might look relatively larger against the frame of a flatter tighter tummy but it would only be an optical illusion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Breast Size after Tummy Tuck

The tummy tuck procedure will not affect the size of your breasts. In contrast to your waist size coming in they may even seem (illusion) that they are slightly bigger

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Should not affect the breasts

When we talk about Tummy tuck we are referring to the lower abdomen and not to the breasts, there are other surgeries like breast lift, or TUBA surgery that affect the breast but a tummy tuck should not change the size and shape of your breasts.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

8506 SW 8th Street
Miami, FL 33144

Results of tummy tuck surgery on breasts

Although your results post tummy tuck surgery will be significant, it should not affect your breasts in any way. However, I recommend emphasizing this concern to your board certified plastic surgeon to ensure the results and goals you would like to achieve. It is best to communicate with your surgeon prior to proceeding with surgery. Good luck and take care.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Tummy tuck will not affect your breasts

A tummy tuck procedure will not have any impact on the shape size or appearance of your breasts.  Your tummy tuck procedure will only affect the excess skin and fat in your anterior abdominal wall and waist.  Best of luck with your procedure.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030