What Does Inframammary Incision Mean?

I saw a doctor photo on real self that says the implant used a "inframammary incision". What does this mean? Is this the best type of incision for a breast aug?

Inframammary Incision Placement

+1
The inframammary incision is probably the most popular type of incision placement. The incision is placed at or slightly above the crease under the breast. This is one of the most common incisions because it allows for the most direct access to the breast implant pocket, making accurate placement of the implants quite predictable. It also leaves the actual breast tissue completely undisturbed, minimizing any effects on breast-feeding and nipple sensation. The best type of placement depends on your body and surgical goals.

Inframammary Incision

+1

Inframmary crease refers to the incision point which is at the bottom of the breast. To ensure that this is the best incision type for you, consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Inframammary means under the breast crease

+1

Breast augmentation incisions each have good and bad points. Inframammary incisions can work out OK, but leave a scar under the breast where it can be seen in small bathing suits. These scars can become more noticeable probably from rubbing on undergarments. The operation can be done with good control from this incision and it can be used for redos if needed. It is my #2 choice after Periareolar.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

In the Breast "Crease"

+1

Inframammary is the bottom of the breast. The crease or fold is where the incision is placed. t can be the exisiting fold, or if a large implant is placed, the incison will be placed in the "new" planned fold location. If placed appropriately, the scar will be well concealed.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Inframammary crease incision is in the fold beneath the breast

+1

The inframammary crease incision is placed beneath the breast in the skin fold that lies under your breast.

This incision is the one most commonly used during breast augmentation for placement of breast implants.

The other common alternatives are through the areola-the pink skin around the nipple, called transareolar incision, and an incision through the skin in your under arm area called the transaxillary incision.

In my opinion, the inframammary crease incision offers the best visibilty for the surgeon and is an easier operation, thus i prefer the inframammary crease incision.

In my experience, the need for revisions after surgery are much less likely when the inframammary crease incisions are used.

The incision is usually well hidden by the breast which falls over the crrease and hides the incision.

You can look at before and after pictures of breast augmentation using the inframammary crease incision.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast implant placement - "Infra" Below, "Mammary" Breast

+1

Incisions for breast augmentations are simply access incisions to the breast for implant placement. There are essentially 4 incision approaches:

1. Inframammary - under breat in fold

2. Periareolar - around nipple-areolar area

3. Transaxillary - through armpit

4. Transumbilical - through belly button

Each has advantages and disadvantages or trade-offs...

I prefer the inframammary because it's advantages to me far outweigh the other approaches:

They allow for well hidden incisions in the crease below the breast
They can be placed directly in the new inframammary fold created or maintained at surgery
It provides great visulaization to the breast pocket and to develop the space for the implant in a bloodless atraumatic way
It gives the best approach for creating a pocket the same on both sides - symmetric pockets under direct vision versus bluntly with an instrument or sizer
It allows for a quick recovery secondary to less trauma
It can be used to accomodate both gel implants and new style implants like the highly cohesive 410 Gummy Bear implants that require a larger incision
I also personally believe way too much is made of which incision approach to the breast is used. The keys are Softness, Symmetry, Size proportionate, Sensitivity, Style options... scar is a little "s."

All my Best!

Dr. Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Inframammary incisions are in the crease below the breast

+1

The most commonly used incision for breast implant insertion would probably be the inframammary crease followed by the areola. Armpit incisions and belly button incisions are much less popular because it is harder to create accurate and symmetrical breast pockets from farther away. The armpit and belly button can also limit your choice of implants and revisions cannot be done through these incisions.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Several options exist

+1

Hi there-

Inframammary means "under the breast", and when referring to an incision location for breast augmentation, it means the incision is in the fold under the breasts.

The advantages and disadvantages of the options available for incision placement would best be reviewed with your surgeon of choice, as his or her skills and experience will affect these significantly, but here is some general information...

The inframammary incision has the advantage of being in a location where it will never be seen (even nude) unless you lift the breast. It usually heals very well and provides simple and wide access to the pocket, and has a very low risk of complications. It is the most widely used location and the one with which we as a surgical community have the most experience.

The peri-areolar incision (around the nipple) is also a good option, but if healing is less than ideal it may be more visible than you would prefer, and as it is located on the focal point of the breast, this may be a significant problem. Some also think that the risk of losing feeling in the nipple is higher when this incision is used, but I think this is experience dependent. The dissection is a bit more tricky, and may expose the implant to bacteria in the breast ducts, which some believe increases your risk of capsular contracture. Also, if a problem were to develop, a second incision (usually under the breast) is usually necessary to treat it.

The axillary approach has gained favor, and has the advantage of moving the scar far away from the breast itself, but in my opinion this option, as well as the umbilical option, make it more difficult to achieve the lovely breast shape that is the goal of every patient. It is also my opinion that the shape of the breast is far more important than the location of the scar (in other words, if you have a funny breast shape, but a scar in your armpit or around your belly button and not on your breast, you'll likely still be unhappy).

Again, I recommend you review these options with a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (and you should definitely ask what board they were certified by) and make the choice that you think will be best for you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS