What Can I Do to Heal Darkened Skin from Benzoyl Peroxide?

I have dark skin and I used Proactiv for a year. It obviously helped clear up my skin mostly, not comlpetely; but now I am left with darkened patches (forehead and cheeks). What should/can I do ?

Topical acne dark spot treatment

+1

Dark spots and pigmentation left over from acne can be improved with topical creams and peels. In my office, I recommend Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM followed by a MelaPeel.

Evening darker skin

+1

With darker skin tones, anything that causes irritation can lead to dark spots or patches. It is difficult to advise you without seeing your skin tone and the extent of your problem, and you don't want to make the problem worse or lighten the areas too much, so I urge you to seek help from a dermatologist.

In general, one of the best ways to lighten dark spots and even pigmentation is with a cream containing hydroquinone. Hydroquinone blocks a step in the production of pigment. Retinoid creams are also helpful in evening skin tone, as are glycolic acids. Also, be sure to use sunscreen every day even though you have darker skin. Any sun exposure will make dark patches even more dark, and undo all the work you have done to lighten them.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.