Quick Lift Vs. Lifestyle Lift: What's the Difference?

What's the difference between a Quicklift and a Lifestyle Lift? I have read about the Lifestyle Lift with major complications like hematomas, nerve paralysis, swelling, and extensive scarring as well as a 41% satisfaction rate. How do the two procedures differ?

The difference between a Quicklift and a Lifestyle Lift

+9

Unfortunately, there is much confusion about facelift terminology.  Even sadder is the fact that physicians don't even understand what these procedures are which leads to further confusion when incorrect information is shared with the public.

I have investigated almost every variation of facelift and have performed extended SMAS facelifts (the gold standard - what I was taught), MACS facelifts, and now Quicklifts. Lifestyle lifts are a franchise marketing concept, i.e., the surgeon pays for local area internet referrals to a national marketing network comprised mostly of ENTs (=facial plastic surgeons). The lifestyle lift is not a standard procedure and I have corrected several. It is essentially whatever the local franchisee wants it to be with or without liposuction. I turned down membership. A threadlift is not a facelift. They only lasted one year and I presented them as such. I do not perform them any longer as I do not consider them a good value.

Mini facelifts have been considered traditionally as "skin only" tightening.  In my book, that's never a facelift.  A facelift, in my opinion, should only be classified as a procedure that supports the underlying structures of the face (the SMAS-the connective tissue layer under the skin) .  The skin only benefits as a SECONDARY effect-a real, and sometimes lasting, but a secondary effect.  Laser resurfacing treats the skin itself, the quality of the skin and the wrinkles that come with it.  I attempt to explain that the skin and the underlying tissues are frequently two different problems that need to be treated independently.  In other words, if one has a jowl or descended cheek fat and he/she gets laser resurfacing, the patient will still have a jowl or descended cheek fat but it will be tighter and smoother--the skin over that area gets contracted, NOT LIFTED!  

A quicklift should NOT be lumped into the minifacelift or skin tightening category because it tightens the underlying support tissue (the lift and tension is supported by the SMAS, not the skin) and the skin is redraped over it.  Granted, the "quicklift" name is a little "hokey" but it actually is a little faster and safer because the exposure it better due to configuration of the incision.  The originator of the procedure (and the commercials produced by them) says that the procedure will take about an hour.  I have seen him do it in person and it took 1.5 hours so that's not quite true.  Personally, it takes me about  3 hours but I pay extreme attention to detail to the incision line because that's what the patient is really left with.  In addition, I have made some modifications to the quicklift that make it a slightly more extensive, and hopefully more effective and longer lasting procedure.  I fully expect that my quicklift procedures will outlast the extended SMAS and the MACS facelift procedures that I have done.  I expect that the patients should see benefits for 10 or more years.

A word of caution: some surgeons will advertise their "S lift" (a single pursestring suture in the SMAS) as a substitute for a full facelift procedure.  I don't think this quite "makes the grade."  A quicklift is done with TWO pursestring sutures affixed to the periosteum of the cheekbone arch, MUCH stronger fixation than any other facelift technique.  Two pursestring sutures are MUCH, MUCH more secure than one.  Make sure you are comparing "apples to apples."  A single pursestring suture is a minifacelift in my book.

Be careful when shopping.  Slow is not great but faster is not better.  Be cautious when shopping for a procedure that advertises that "it only takes an hour."  I ALWAYS remember that patients want GREAT RESULTS....downtime and procedure time are SECONDARY goals and we should remember this priority.  Perhaps this is what differentiates plastic surgeons from other specialties.

Bottom line - GET EDUCATED.  KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR.  SHOP FOR THE BEST VALUE.  IN OTHER WORDS, THE MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK,..THE LONGEST LASTING PROCEDURE WITH THE BEST RESULTS WHILE PAYING THE LEAST AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR IT.

GOOD LUCK!  

Update:

I just noticed a comment made by another physician:

"A quicklift is akin to the mini-facelift and involves less extensive dissection usually only under the cheek are, so it can't address the problem areas of the neck. They are not the same and as you might guess, they can't produce the same results."

I couldn't disagree more. A quicklift can be easily modified to address the neck, and in my practice, a platysmaplasty (chin/neck dissection is ALWAYS done) which not only improves the neck contour, but in most cases, exceeds the result that can be obtained with the gold standard extended SMAS technique even with a platysmaplasty. The result is more reliable and longer lasting in my experience.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Quicklift

+2

Good question. There are many types of facelifts. If someone only offers one, go somewhere else. There is the correct facelift for each person and just as every face is different, in order to achieve the best result, every facelift must also be. In order to make the right decision, make sure you go to a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery as they have years of training in performing facelifts (as opposed to so called "cosmetic surgeons" who have a weekend course. Nowadays, every gynecologist and family practitioner is calling themselves a "cosmetic surgeon")

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Quick lift versus lifestyle lift versus full face lift

+1
 Mini lifts tend to give mini results.  In our practice, a comprehensive facial rejuvenation is accomplished with a full face neck lift performed so that the patient's look very natural The facelift  procedure involves tightening  the SMAS and neck muscles, a platysma plasty is performed after the fat is removed above and below the platysma muscle in the neck, tightening the jowls, and conservatively tightening facial and neck skin. For many examples, please see the link below to our face lift photo gallery

Quick Lifts, LiteLift™ and Lifestyle Lifts

+1

Part of the problem is that many of these procedures are actually done quite differently by all of the doctors involved. 

Since only Dr Nichter and myself (Dr Horowitz) at Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery currently do the LiteLift™, it is done very much as shown on our website. The Quick Lift, if done correctly, should be similar by each surgeon as described by Dr Brandy.
You would have to call Lifestyle and ask how each doctor in your area specifically does their procedure.

Dr. Poulos- Plastic Surgery Specialists

+1

Lifestyle lift is a national company that hires doctors to perform a specific type of facelift. Quicklift is simply a marketing term that applies to a philosophy of facelifting techniques that allow for a natural result and a relatively quick recovery. The decision where to have surgery and what type of lift to have is a very personal decision that needs to be made with your surgeon who should be board certified and experienced in all techniques of surgery in order to provide the results that will be best individualized to you.The key is to do your homework before choosing a doctor.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

+1

The Lifestyle Lift 'Procedure' has never really been written and documented in the surgical literature.  Having spoke with surgeons that I know who perform the Lifestyle Lift, they all seem to do different procedures.   The Quicklift Procedure has been written in Cosmetic Dermatology Journal 6/2004 vol 17 # 6 pg 351-360.   All facelifts should involve tightening of the SMAS which is a component of the facial muscles and skin tightening, which the QuickLift does.  The direction of skin pull does vary between the S-lift and the QuickLift.  I like the bidirectional pull of the skin that the QuickLift offers.   I feel the results are more natural and address the jowels more completely, ultimately giving a better jawline.  All facelifts, if done correctly, should last 5-15 years.    Hope this helps.

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hard to top that

+1

Dr McFadden's response is comprehensive and I agree with all - apart from the lifestyle lift (which I have not seen but heard the stories!) - being the domain of facial plastic surgeons alone!

I perform the quicklift and think the results are as good as any other SMAS tightening lift. I operated on a patient 2 weeks ago who slept that night in her own bed, was lunching with friends by day 3, shopping at day 5 and started a new job on day 7 post lift.

The only thing quick about the lift (it takes me 3.5 hours with platysmaplasty) is the recovery which is extraordinary in my opinion.

Dominic Bray, MBBS, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difference between Quicklift and Lifestyle Lift

+1

I did perform Quicklift surgeries in the past and I was never involved with Lifestyle lift.  For disclosure, purposes, I have no direct or indirect affiliation with either of them at this time.

In my practice Quicklift type (MACS lift) successfully replaced traditional facelifts especially for younger patients because of shorter recovery, comparable durability and effectiveness with improvement of face, neck, jowls, cheeks.  Despite popular belief, Quicklift method can improve cheeks also by adding another suture. 

I would not put Quicklift in the same category as other skin only minilifts. It is not skin only based and therefore more durable. It is not based on skin tension and therefore does not create un-natural pull on the face. It takes about 1-2 hours and recovery is about 5-10 days with proper post - operative recommendations. I performed well over 100 every year with very high level of patient satisfaction.  It is similar to SMAS flap lift and the advantage that I see is that the muscle is attached to a fixed bone structure.

However, it is not for everyone either.  Some patients will require more aggressive procedures especially if they desire more significant improvement of cheeks or nasolabial folds.  Undermining under skin in Quicklift is not much smaller than in SMAS lift either.  That is why I do not do it on smokers.

Based on recent articles by other plastic surgeons, Lifestyle lift is a SMAS based procedure. The recent description in our professional journal describles a technique most plastic surgeons would use to lift the face.  As it was described, it is not a minilift per say. 

As any surgery, there are happy and unhappy patients.  Satisfaction rate from traditional facelift is in mid 70 per cent.  As with any other surgery, there are different case scenarioes and different outcomes.  Some patients will develop thicker scars and more bruising. 

Because of aggressive marketing, Lifestyle lift has more patients then other companies or surgeons and as such more unhappy patients by numbers.

However, at the end of the day, there are some very qualified plastic surgeons performing Lifestyle lifts, Quicklifts and other variations of procedures.  The results are not dependent on the name of the surgery but on experience of surgeon performing it.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Quick Lift Vs Lifestyle Lift - Surgeon More Important than name

+1

The LifeStyle Lift is a proprietary heavily branded type of mini lift.  It is a mini-lift under my reasoning that it is focused on the lower face, does not require general anesthesia, and has abbreviated incisions, takes a shorter time to perform and recover from in comparison to a traditional facelift. But then again there are lots of mini-lifts that offer similar claims.
The mini-lifts may be tough to choose from because of all the brand names such as LifeStyle Lift, S-Lift, Quick Lift, LiteLift, MACS and others.

There is however, a need for traditional facelifts. For example, if you have a large amount of redundant neck skin and fat or turkey waddle deformity, you may benefit more by liposuction and a traditional facelift which does better with lower neck skin redundancy.

Probably most important is the skill and experience of the surgeon. Always check out his/her before and after photos and ask to see long term results and most of all that he is trained and a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  or Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience over many years.
Remember it is the skill and experience of the surgeon that counts not the name !!  Great surgeons get great results, period. The best way to find one is to start with a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  or Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience over many years. Ask to see before and after photos, especially long term ones. and ask the number of times you will be seen afterwards by the surgeon rather than a medical assistant. A good place to start is "find a doctor" on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons web sites.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Quick Lift Vs. Lifestyle Lift

+1

Quicklift is a modified facelift. It can be customized to fit a patient's needs. The lifestyle lift is a proprietary procedure that generally does not work on the SMAS.  If your Quicklift works on the SMAS, the duration can be longer and the price more cost effective than a lifestyle lift.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS